Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I generally expense things that I wouldn't otherwise spend if I weren't traveling.

A $10 lunch just because I happen to be in a different city? Nah, but if I landed at midnight and had to get something to eat, then yeah. All transportation fees and gym day passes that cost extra because I can't use my regular membership are expensed as well.
IBNR expenses?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Gym passes? That's a new one
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
For interviews where I'm in and out in a day or two, I wouldn't need to. But I may be doing those 4-day work trips regularly soon, so yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
That was specifically listed as not allowed at one of my prior employers. They had three things that were specifically listed in the policy manual, all of which I found hugely annoying at the time because I thought they were very fair: gym, dry cleaning, and I forget the third. On long-term assignments, I think dry cleaning is totally reasonable too.

I had an easy work-around for the gym: instead of paying $10 for a daily pass, I paid an extra $100 to stay at the hotel that provided a day pass for free. Yet another case where companies and employees are measuring the wrong thing and telling themselves they are saving/making money. And hotels will often do your dry cleaning as well (sometimes it shows up as a separate item and sometimes not).
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

they may not pay for your gym, but they'll pay for your quadruple bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
That was specifically listed as not allowed at one of my prior employers. They had three things that were specifically listed in the policy manual, all of which I found hugely annoying at the time because I thought they were very fair: gym, dry cleaning, and I forget the third. On long-term assignments, I think dry cleaning is totally reasonable too.

I had an easy work-around for the gym: instead of paying $10 for a daily pass, I paid an extra $100 to stay at the hotel that provided a day pass for free. Yet another case where companies and employees are measuring the wrong thing and telling themselves they are saving/making money. And hotels will often do your dry cleaning as well (sometimes it shows up as a separate item and sometimes not).
I think the idea behind disallowing dry cleaning is that you generally shouldn't be reimbursed for expenses that you would normally incur when not traveling.

My company has a similar policy, although you can get an exception in unusual circumstances, like a trip unexpectedly being extended. ("This is taking longer than we thought; can you stay around three more days?" "Well, I didn't pack for the extra days...." or "Your flight has been canceled, and there are no seats available until the end of the week.")

However, our expense reports will get tagged if our nightly rate exceeds some threshold (varies by city), or exceeds the least-expensive business class hotel option by a certain percentage. While I think "I'm training for [an event]" would get an out-of-range hotel approved on an occasional exception basis, I can't imagine doing that regularly.

If I were in a situation where I really needed to pay for gym fees (as opposed to being able to settle for crappy hotel equipment or doing non-gym/equipment exercise for a day or three) while on a business trip, I'd probably just compensate by submitting some of the allowable expenses I would otherwise choose to absorb.

(Although I still wouldn't be so ballsy as to expense individual Starbucks purchases.)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I would have just taken the more expensive flight and skipped all that nonsense. Your time is probably more valuable than their money.
The latest flight out of my more regional airport was at 3:30 PM and my office was 30 minutes from that airport. I was a little worried to leave that early because of how frequently I had been interviewing. Looking back, she would have booked me for an overnight layover in O'Hare with no mention of a hotel and not arriving until almost 9AM day of. I didn't even notice because I was checking surreptitiously on my phone at work. Somehow by driving there I got in around 11 PM the night of.

Now she's ghosting me because there's no incentive to answer since she didn't get her placement. That company is kind of a competitor with where I ended up...
Old 07-14-2018, 07:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
(Although I still wouldn't be so ballsy as to expense individual Starbucks purchases.)
I do.

But it's usually breakfast at the airport or something, and I don't go to Starbucks except when I'm traveling.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I do.

But it's usually breakfast at the airport or something, and I don't go to Starbucks except when I'm traveling.
I do too. I am an employee and I see what others at my company expense. Smallish snacks/coffee/etc. mid day is nothing compared to what others submit.

As a job candidate, I would buy my own coffee and just submit meals and necessary transport and lodging.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
I do too. I am an employee and I see what others at my company expense. Smallish snacks/coffee/etc. mid day is nothing compared to what others submit.

As a job candidate, I would buy my own coffee and just submit meals and necessary transport and lodging.
Yes, I would expense less as a job candidate.