Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:42 AM

Default Can't get a job, need advice.

Hi guys,

I'm from Hong Kong and I began looking for actuarial jobs earlier this year after finishing my degrees. I believe I have some decent qualifications after studying in the UK. Unfortunately, I could hardly land any interview, let alone job offers. It seems like in Hong Kong, firms who employ actuaries only hire people with experience, usually 1 year. I'm getting hopeless and I think I need a contingency plan if the situation persists in the upcoming months. I hope I can get some advice and ideas about what might be the best thing to do. Feel free to leave a quick comment.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:04 AM
CAS SOA

Where did you study in the UK?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

First up, speak to a recruiter who knows HK. They might not be able to help you find a job, but if they're a reputable recruiter they'll take 10 minutes out of their day to give you some background on the real state of the market, and how graduates normally get into work.

If the market is such that there aren't any jobs for graduates right now, then we're probably on to the standard advice. Try and get a job in a related field, network, and take some exams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Where did you study in the UK?
I did my degree in one of the better rusell group universities that has an actuarial program.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Have you considered a makeover? You should get a suit from WW Chan. Those guys are top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
First up, speak to a recruiter who knows HK. They might not be able to help you find a job, but if they're a reputable recruiter they'll take 10 minutes out of their day to give you some background on the real state of the market, and how graduates normally get into work.

If the market is such that there aren't any jobs for graduates right now, then we're probably on to the standard advice. Try and get a job in a related field, network, and take some exams.
I did talk to some recruiter and what they told me matches the situation I am in right now. There are quite a lot of jobs but in the actuarial job market, not so much that welcomes graduates without experience.

In terms of exam, because I studied in an actuarial program in the UK, I get exemptions for exams (CT 1-8, any higher would be associate level examinations).

I am actually considering finding jobs in another discipline but I am not really sure what kind of jobs might be suitable and I am not really interested in accountant jobs.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Have you considered a makeover? You should get a suit from WW Chan. Those guys are top notch.

I don't really understand what you mean by that. Why is this related to tailors?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 AM
SOA AAA

Where are you looking?
And where are you allowed to work?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:24 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezard View Post
I did talk to some recruiter and what they told me matches the situation I am in right now. There are quite a lot of jobs but in the actuarial job market, not so much that welcomes graduates without experience.

In terms of exam, because I studied in an actuarial program in the UK, I get exemptions for exams (CT 1-8, any higher would be associate level examinations).

I am actually considering finding jobs in another discipline but I am not really sure what kind of jobs might be suitable and I am not really interested in accountant jobs.
I have seen this problem before.

Its not a good idea to have zero work experience and lots of exemptions. Companies do not want to pay your salary based on those exemptions when you have zero work experience. Why pay somebody 50K/year when they are doing work worth 30K/year due to the lack of experience.

Russell Group? I am surprised you are not getting a few nibbles, but the problem is the lack of experience and starting salary due to exemptions. You need finance based experience. It does not have to be Actuarial so I suggest you look at other sectors.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:28 AM
SOA AAA

Are companies is legally obligated to offer this person 50Ls if he's worth only 30Ls?

Tags
career advice, graduate