Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Guo's LTAM study guide available now

I have two versions of LTAM for fall 2018:
(1) The smaller version (180+ pages) covers just the Mary Hardy study note and the loss model study note. $75 for pdf file and $99 for printed version. You can order it from Actuarial Bookstore and Actex today. Sample chapters are here:

http://deeperunderstandingfastercalc...del_Sample.pdf

(2) The full version (estimated 800+ pages) covers everything. It will be available Monday. I haven't decided with its price yet.

If you already have your trusted study guide from your favorite authors, there's no need to switch authors. You can use my Version I as your supplementary study guide.

The material in Mary Hardy study note and the loss model study note is overwhelming and the difficult level is high especially in Mary Hardy's study note. SOA hasn't released sample problems on the two study notes. Every author is doing his best to shed light on these two study notes. It will help you prepare for the exam if you can seek perspectives from different authors.

Thanks for reading. Hope that you find my sample chapters an interesting read.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:16 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yufeng View Post
(1) The smaller version (180+ pages) covers just the Mary Hardy study note and the loss model study note. $75 for pdf file and $99 for printed version. You can order it from Actuarial Bookstore and Actex today. Sample chapters are here:

(2) The full version (estimated 800+ pages) covers everything. It will be available Monday. I haven't decided with its price yet.

If you already have your trusted study guide from your favorite authors, there's no need to switch authors. You can use my Version I as your supplementary study guide.

The material in Mary Hardy study note and the loss model study note is overwhelming and the difficult level is high especially in Mary Hardy's study note. SOA hasn't released sample problems on the two study notes. Every author is doing his best to shed light on these two study notes. It will help you prepare for the exam if you can seek perspectives from different authors.

Actually, sample questions were posted two days ago. Questions on new LTAM topics are mainly from the Hardy study note.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:

Did you decide on the price for the FULL VERSION yet?
Old 07-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Guo's full LTAM manual 20% off now

Hi Sigus,

I sent the manuscript to Actuarial Bookstore and Actex last night. It may take them a day or two to update their websites.

For the full manual, the digital version is $199 and the paper copy is $250. This is the price charged by most LTAM authors.

Now I'm offering 20% discount. After the discount, my LTAM full manual is about $180 for the digital version and $200 for the paper version.

Here is a sample:

http://deeperunderstandingfastercalc...018_Sample.pdf

My book is LaTex typeset, small font size, A4 paper, 800+ page, with beautiful diagrams. My philosophy is "no fluff." Each chapter is a deep dive into a subject.

If you need the paper copy today, please call Actuarial Bookstore or Actex. They should be able to print the book on demand, even though their website may not be updated now.

For those who failed the spring 2018 exam, I encourage you to read my sample and get a feel of my style. Perhaps my book can be used a supplement to your favorite author's book.

Have a good day and thanks for reading.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Hi Sigus,

I sent the manuscript to Actuarial Bookstore and Actex last night. It may take them a day or two to update their websites.

For the full manual, the digital version is $199 and the paper copy is $250. This is the price charged by most LTAM authors.

Now I'm offering 20% discount. After the discount, my LTAM full manual is about $180 for the digital version and $200 for the paper version.

Here is a sample:

http://deeperunderstandingfastercalc...018_Sample.pdf

My book is LaTex typeset, small font size, A4 paper, 800+ page, with beautiful diagrams. My philosophy is "no fluff." Each chapter is a deep dive into a subject.

If you need the paper copy today, please call Actuarial Bookstore or Actex. They should be able to print the book on demand, even though their website may not be updated now.

For those who failed the spring 2018 exam, I encourage you to read my sample and get a feel of my style. Perhaps my book can be used a supplement to your favorite author's book.

Have a good day and thanks for reading.
Can you advise on how to obtain the discount?
Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM
SOA

College: University of Colorado

This looks really helpful! I was also waiting to hear about the price for the full manual and hoping to order it soon.

Specifically, I like the difficulty ratings you have for each question and that each section is split into core concept, illustrative problems and checking the knowledge. That feels very intuitive.

Thanks, Mr. Guo! Do you usually provide help via the AO or other means if there are any questions about your manual?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM
CAS SOA

Also, do you plan to make solution scripts for the released LTAM sample questions for AO's consumption? Your solution scripts are by far more intuitive than my favorite manual
Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanks for your interest.

No coupon code is needed to get the 20% discount. I already told ABS and Actex to offer 20% discount to everyone at least for now. Just call in and you'll get the discount.

Yes, I do plan to write up my solution to the new LTAM sample questions and post the solution PDF here free for everyone to use. However, it may take me a while to complete.

If you have any questions, please post them here and I'll answer them.

Good luck to all who are taking the new LTAM this fall.

May the force be with you!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 AM
CAS SOA

Mr. Guo, no pressure but I do not think I understood the lady at the bookstore when I called yesterday. "We are waiting for more information from the author so we will get back to you" - said the bookstore
Old 07-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Sigus,

I just called Actuarial Bookstore and Actex.

They are ready to print the manual for you and a few others who ordered it through phone. Go ahead and make your payment via phone and they'll start the printer. They'll apply the 20% discount.

By the way, last night I sent them an updated file. Somehow my LaTex problem counter was off (example, problem 10.01, 10.02, then suddenly 10.0.25). I dived into my LaTex code and fixed the bug. Now the problem counters are all consecutive and good.

I also reloaded my two sample PDFs. If you download the samples now from the same url in this forum and compare them with the samples you downloaded before, you'll understand what I mean.

I'm working on solving the sample LTAM problems and will post my solution here when I'm done.