Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Man, the Cosmere is huge (or Sanderson plans for it to become huge)
Yeah... that list really puts it in perspective. We're barely even a third of the way through the ride.

I'm glad he included the section on needing to collab/outsource some things to make sure the Cosmere is going to be wrapped up in his lifetime. Despite the fact that he's an insanely fast writer, he has so many ideas and pursues so many that my Cosmere back of the napkin projections were starting to make me nervous.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Yeah... that list really puts it in perspective. We're barely even a third of the way through the ride.

I'm glad he included the section on needing to collab/outsource some things to make sure the Cosmere is going to be wrapped up in his lifetime. Despite the fact that he's an insanely fast writer, he has so many ideas and pursues so many that my Cosmere back of the napkin projections were starting to make me nervous.
Yep, I'm glad he's seeing it as well. While I enjoyed Reckoners and his other diversion stuff, if he doesnt finish the cosmere it will be very sad for us. I'm surprised that the books arent different enough in cosmere to get the refresher he needs. For example. sixth of the dusk type stuff. I'd take lots of in cosmere diversions like that instead.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
Yep, I'm glad he's seeing it as well. While I enjoyed Reckoners and his other diversion stuff, if he doesnt finish the cosmere it will be very sad for us. I'm surprised that the books arent different enough in cosmere to get the refresher he needs. For example. sixth of the dusk type stuff. I'd take lots of in cosmere diversions like that instead.
Yeah, same. Even Wax and Wayne has a very different feel than Stormlight, IMO.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:59 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Sanderson live updated everyone on social media last night in an absurd 13 hour push to finish off Stormlight Archive #4. He finished around 4am, having written 19k words in the final push to get the book finished by the New Year.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/s...56666061905920

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/s...59143541563392
Old 01-08-2020, 01:18 PM
CAS AAA

Starsight took me longer to read than I expected, which is odd -- I read Skyward in a weekend.

The end of the book was kinda unsatisfying.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

I just finished Skyward for the first time yesterday and thought it was probably one of the best non-Cosmere stories from him so far. I was the same as you, MightySchoop - couldn't put the thing down, read it in a couple of days.

Now I'm trying to decided if I want to dive right into Starsight or start working through all these books I picked up on Black Friday...
Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM
CAS

I'm at about the 60% mark on the Skyward audiobook, having started last Friday. Really enjoying it so far, though there are things about the main character that I find unrealistic and frustrating, but I'm probably just out-of-touch with how people can be.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 AM
SOA

I barely remember reading Skyward. I'll probably re-read it and then Starsight this year, but I'm not sure I'm really excited about it. (Stormlight 4 is much more exciting)

I also just checked out White Sands 3 from the library - so i'll finish that. It's been a pretty big let down.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:21 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
I just finished Skyward for the first time yesterday and thought it was probably one of the best non-Cosmere stories from him so far. I was the same as you, MightySchoop - couldn't put the thing down, read it in a couple of days.

Now I'm trying to decided if I want to dive right into Starsight or start working through all these books I picked up on Black Friday...
Loved book 1 and book 2. Finished both in 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |B|rad View Post
I'm at about the 60% mark on the Skyward audiobook, having started last Friday. Really enjoying it so far, though there are things about the main character that I find unrealistic and frustrating, but I'm probably just out-of-touch with how people can be.
I noticed some also, but dismissed them because it was technically YA.

Very fun read.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:10 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post

I noticed some also, but dismissed them because it was technically YA.
I've only read two of his so far, both from the Mistborn series. Are all of his books YA? Or are some a little more "mature"? It is probably my only frustration so far -- I don't need tons of sex, blood, gore, etc. but a protagonist who's not a mopey teenager would help a little. Not a criticism, because I still enjoy the books, just curious if some are more "adult" than others.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.