Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-03-2020, 09:59 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Next audiobook in the queue: The Everlasting Man by GK Chesteron

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-03-2020, 10:37 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
I've been challenged to read 30 books this year...seems like a lot, especially since I know 4 books in the Stormlight Archive (1000+ page books) will be among the books i read this year.
I'm in a very similar boat. I'm gonna try to do 36, and 4 of those will be Stormlight.

I've got several other series I want to work through that will put my total into the lower twenties pretty easily, so I'm actually feeling fairly confident about 36 already.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
I'm in a very similar boat. I'm gonna try to do 36, and 4 of those will be Stormlight.

I've got several other series I want to work through that will put my total into the lower twenties pretty easily, so I'm actually feeling fairly confident about 36 already.
Any recommendations? I haven't read as much in recent years, so always looking for new stuff.

Good news is, after some research last night I found that Butcher has a new book coming to the Dresden files, Joe Abercrombie had a book release in the first law series with another this year, and Brian Mclellen wrapped up the second series in the powder mage world.

Also, all of the Stormlight books are also available in Graphic Audio - and I quite liked Warbreaker when I listened to it in that format.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

I'm doing a full read of the R.A. Salvatore Drizzt books, then I'm going to re-read the Robin Hobb Farseer books (I never read the most recent 6), then finally read the Raymond Feist Magician books (I LOVED Betrayal at Krondor video game as a teen).

I also have all of the Joe Abercrombie books (I want to reread the original trilogy and then read the three standalones).

I also have the newest Black Company book, but I need to reread the original trilogy first. I've got the full Robert Redick Chathrand Voyage quartet (read book 1 years ago), the Silo trilogy, Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine quartet (read book 1 years ago). I have and want to finally read the Death Gate cycle one of these days (I read books 1 and 2 in the mid 90s...).

I have book 1 of each of R.F. Kuang's The Poppy War series, Nicholas Eames' The Band series, V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series, Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy, and N.K. Jemisin's The Inheritance Trilogy. Jemisin will probably be the first one I read, as I've heard nothing but rave reviews of her later work.

I was also convinced to buy the Hyperion series, so I have that, along with Roger Zelazny's Great Book of Amber, Steven Brust's Book of Jhereg, David Eddings' Belgariad, Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy, Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, Greg Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone.

I probably don't need to buy any more books, but I probably will eventually.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:27 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

I tend to get obsessed with book challenges. That keeps my reading numbers up.

For 2020 I have an "Author and Title Alphabet Challenge", which will require 52 books to finish. And an "Expand Your Horizons Challenge" that will take 51 to finish. I also do 3 monthly challenges, which require 3, 4, and 10 titles.

Now I can, and do, overlap the challenges, so the grand total isn't additive. But they do keep me reading. "Expand Your Horizons" is particularly fun.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:31 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

So how do you do single issue comix? It seems unfair to count a 32 page issue as a "book". Do you aggregate 5 or 6, which is typically what gets included in a volume when it's released as a trade paper back? Do you count each one, even if only 32 pages?

I typically aggregate, but open to other ideas.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
So how do you do single issue comix? It seems unfair to count a 32 page issue as a "book". Do you aggregate 5 or 6, which is typically what gets included in a volume when it's released as a trade paper back? Do you count each one, even if only 32 pages?

I typically aggregate, but open to other ideas.
I don't do single issue comix -- I go with compilations, etc. In the case of Order of the Stick, Rich Burlew has been deliberately structuring them as books, so I go with that. [I certainly don't log when I read a single strip, for example] The last one was pretty long. Similarly, Sandman had story arcs/series and those were bundled into books.

I did have some cartoon (as in single panel or 3-to-4-panel traditional strips) books in the mix last year. I logged the weird (old) ones so I could remember what I had found at the library sale.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-03-2020, 03:25 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
I'm doing a full read of the R.A. Salvatore Drizzt books, then I'm going to re-read the Robin Hobb Farseer books (I never read the most recent 6), then finally read the Raymond Feist Magician books (I LOVED Betrayal at Krondor video game as a teen).

I also have all of the Joe Abercrombie books (I want to reread the original trilogy and then read the three standalones).

I also have the newest Black Company book, but I need to reread the original trilogy first. I've got the full Robert Redick Chathrand Voyage quartet (read book 1 years ago), the Silo trilogy, Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine quartet (read book 1 years ago). I have and want to finally read the Death Gate cycle one of these days (I read books 1 and 2 in the mid 90s...).

I have book 1 of each of R.F. Kuang's The Poppy War series, Nicholas Eames' The Band series, V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series, Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy, and N.K. Jemisin's The Inheritance Trilogy. Jemisin will probably be the first one I read, as I've heard nothing but rave reviews of her later work.

I was also convinced to buy the Hyperion series, so I have that, along with Roger Zelazny's Great Book of Amber, Steven Brust's Book of Jhereg, David Eddings' Belgariad, Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy, Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, Greg Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone.

I probably don't need to buy any more books, but I probably will eventually.
[subscribe]

I've read a bunch of those, and many others are on my "to read" list.

The one I couldn't stand was the Thomas Covenant series...couldn't get past the halfway point of the first book....the guy is such a downer!!!
Old 01-03-2020, 03:37 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I don't do single issue comix -- I go with compilations, etc. In the case of Order of the Stick, Rich Burlew has been deliberately structuring them as books, so I go with that. [I certainly don't log when I read a single strip, for example] The last one was pretty long. Similarly, Sandman had story arcs/series and those were bundled into books.

I did have some cartoon (as in single panel or 3-to-4-panel traditional strips) books in the mix last year. I logged the weird (old) ones so I could remember what I had found at the library sale.
I do have the 11 trade paperbacks of Sandman which I plan to reread this year. But I also read single issues a lot. But that's cuz they're new and they're not in TPB yet, so I don't know how they'll be packaged (or even if they will, like if they end up not being popular). So I guess trying to estimate how many will be in a book is the best I can do.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

I edited my Goodreads challenge to 104 books, but only because I searched for Reaver and they have each issue as a separate book, probably because it hasn't been put into a TPB yet. So reading Reaver #1 counted as one book, and there are 6 in the series. I'll read enough single issues that it makes a big difference in the count for the challenge.

But in my official spreadsheet, I'll count Reaver 1-6 as one book.