Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
They don't show any details of the workouts, so I can't see whether they include the bad pieces of Crossfit. But on the surface it appears to be something worth looking into to get more information.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 12-23-2019, 12:24 AM

If your knees are bothering you, I would highly recommend you go here:

https://atgonlinecoaching.com/

They have a bunch of programs, but the one that is putting them on the map is the "Knee abillty program." My physical therapist did the program herself and said her glass knees went away in 3 months. And she was a soccer player with ACL tears etc.
I started a few weeks ago and I'm progressing slower because dues to my size I am still regressing some of the exercises, but after just one week of their "6-week flexibility fix" I could spread my legs about ten degrees wider after decades of declining flexibility. One of the exercises I couldn't even do at all on day one even regressing, I came back to two weeks later and I could do it.

You submit form videos during the app. If you use code ATG15 they knock 15 bucks off the first month. You can also just sign up for one month, read through all the programs, learn all the exercises, and drop it.

Warning: The main guy is not the best speaker, the instructional videos are a bit longer than they need to be, and there's a little of the "zeal of the convert" going on there, but I am VERY happy with the program so far.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:37 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
If your knees are bothering you, I would highly recommend you go here:

https://atgonlinecoaching.com/

They have a bunch of programs, but the one that is putting them on the map is the "Knee abillty program." My physical therapist did the program herself and said her glass knees went away in 3 months. And she was a soccer player with ACL tears etc.
This is intriguing. My knees are doing reasonably well at the moment, but I get strains from time to time, and would like to do something to help keep them healthy. Is this good for someone like me who has allowed their strength conditioning to lapse horribly? They promote themselves as being for elite athletes, which I most decidedly am not.

Last edited by Egghead; 12-23-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Old 12-27-2019, 01:09 PM

Their premise is that anyone can get to that level following the program(which I think may be oversell but not for the younger people who are the bulk of clients). They market themselves primarily to athletes but say the program is for everyone. Do not expect to be able to do all the exercises at first, many will need to be regressed.

Not totally sure this link will still work, but the guy sent this out to subscribers and said we were free to share it, it's a condensed version of the knee program that takes less time and can be done on top of other training rather than instead of it. You could give it a month or two and see how it goes before deciding on the program.

whoops.

Last edited by Loner; 01-07-2020 at 10:31 PM..
Old 12-27-2019, 05:20 PM
SOA

Thanks, Loner! I'll check it out.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:17 PM

Specifically I even had to work up to the 3x90 second calf stretches and I'm still not putting all my weight on them. Start with 3x30 seconds and add 5 seconds every day or two.

Couch stretch I couldn't do at all, then like two weeks in I tried again and I could do it. Not flat against wall but I could do it.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Orangetheory looks like another good alternative to Crossfit, but it's more cardio-oriented so I'd eventually have to supplement it with a weights workout elsewhere.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 01-07-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Orangetheory looks like another good alternative to Crossfit, but it's more cardio-oriented so I'd eventually have to supplement it with a weights workout elsewhere.
A rowing machine works all your muscles except chest and triceps.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:02 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
A rowing machine works all your muscles except chest and triceps.
In cardio style. It's not going to get me back to squatting 400 lbs.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
In cardio style. It's not going to get me back to squatting 400 lbs.
None of these class-type workouts are going to get you back to squatting 400 lbs.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto