Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Oh, I 100% agree with this... with one exception. The HOV lane is NOT the fast lane.
Dedicated HOV or toll lanes should be moving faster than general traffic. That is the entire purpose.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funemployed View Post
What's considered "overtaking"? Going 1 mph faster than someone else?

And how close to "overtaking" another vehicle must you be to not have to remain in the right lane?

I love the idea behind such laws, but putting them into practice seems problematic. And I've never actually seen them enforced. Still, if everyone would just abide by the spirit of such laws, it would be a vast improvement.
Yes, it is problematic. But that didn't stop AL from passing a law which came in force recently. If you don't pass someone within 1 mile, you have to clear the left lane. Haven't noticed much behavior difference.

More irritating to me is the "flashing lights" law. You have to drop 15 mph below speed limit for emergency vehicles on side of road and change lanes if possible. I would grudgingly accept 10. 15 just seems like enough to cause wrecks.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Fixed!

My spouse gets super angry at people all the time, because they don't pay attention to what's going on around them, they don't give any mind about the impacts they have on other people. I keep trying to remind him that (imo) this is related to intelligence. And when you're in the top 10% of the intelligence spectrum, that means that 9 out of every 10 people you run into is dumber than you. Half of them are dumber by a LOT.

So it's not like they do it on purpose, it's just that they're not really capable of it. They're doing the best they can with what they've got. Just like me trying to reach the top shelf.
people suck. i think it's very generous to chalk most of it up to being less intelligent.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
people suck. i think it's very generous to chalk most of it up to being less intelligent.

I don't think most people suck on purpose. They're just oblivious and wrapped up in their own world. They wander through with no thought or awareness of the ripples they leave behind.

Don't get me wrong - there are some genuine grade A malicious jerks out there, definitely. I just think there aren't all that many. I think that if most people knew and understood the impact they have on others, they'd be horrified and heartbroken.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM
CAS

Quote:

I don't think most people suck on purpose. They're just oblivious and wrapped up in their own world. They wander through with no thought or awareness of the ripples they leave behind.

Don't get me wrong - there are some genuine grade A malicious jerks out there, definitely. I just think there aren't all that many. I think that if most people knew and understood the impact they have on others, they'd be horrified and heartbroken.
this is why people suck imo

i exaggerate, of course. i love people, but i also hate them
Old 01-16-2020, 03:08 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
this is why people suck imo

i exaggerate, of course. i love people, but i also hate them
That's fair.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:05 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

The sole on my right shoe is coming off.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Fixed!

My spouse gets super angry at people all the time, because they don't pay attention to what's going on around them, they don't give any mind about the impacts they have on other people. I keep trying to remind him that (imo) this is related to intelligence. And when you're in the top 10% of the intelligence spectrum, that means that 9 out of every 10 people you run into is dumber than you. Half of them are dumber by a LOT.

So it's not like they do it on purpose, it's just that they're not really capable of it. They're doing the best they can with what they've got. Just like me trying to reach the top shelf.
Just goes to show that 50% of life is 90% mental
Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grondin View Post
Yes, it is problematic. But that didn't stop AL from passing a law which came in force recently. If you don't pass someone within 1 mile, you have to clear the left lane. Haven't noticed much behavior difference.

More irritating to me is the "flashing lights" law. You have to drop 15 mph below speed limit for emergency vehicles on side of road and change lanes if possible. I would grudgingly accept 10. 15 just seems like enough to cause wrecks.
That's more or less the standard law around the country, though I don't know if they are as specific on speed. (I am assuming that it applies to vehicles traveling in the right lane only, or the left lane if that's where the accident is.) If there's a lot of traffic on the road then there will probably be enough of a slowdown that it won't be a problem, and if there is not a lot of traffic then changing lanes is easy.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM
SOA

"Upgrades" to office that make it look like hot garbage.