Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #3861  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Kenny's Avatar
Kenny Kenny is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Oh, I 100% agree with this... with one exception. The HOV lane is NOT the fast lane.
Dedicated HOV or toll lanes should be moving faster than general traffic. That is the entire purpose.
__________________
Play Free Games and Win Real Money
I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence? - Arni Bjoernsson
You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil. ... Dumb students are educated stupid. - timecube.com
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto


Reply With Quote
  #3862  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM
Steve Grondin Steve Grondin is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funemployed View Post
What's considered "overtaking"? Going 1 mph faster than someone else?

And how close to "overtaking" another vehicle must you be to not have to remain in the right lane?

I love the idea behind such laws, but putting them into practice seems problematic. And I've never actually seen them enforced. Still, if everyone would just abide by the spirit of such laws, it would be a vast improvement.
Yes, it is problematic. But that didn't stop AL from passing a law which came in force recently. If you don't pass someone within 1 mile, you have to clear the left lane. Haven't noticed much behavior difference.

More irritating to me is the "flashing lights" law. You have to drop 15 mph below speed limit for emergency vehicles on side of road and change lanes if possible. I would grudgingly accept 10. 15 just seems like enough to cause wrecks.
Reply With Quote
  #3863  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:17 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Fixed!

My spouse gets super angry at people all the time, because they don't pay attention to what's going on around them, they don't give any mind about the impacts they have on other people. I keep trying to remind him that (imo) this is related to intelligence. And when you're in the top 10% of the intelligence spectrum, that means that 9 out of every 10 people you run into is dumber than you. Half of them are dumber by a LOT.

So it's not like they do it on purpose, it's just that they're not really capable of it. They're doing the best they can with what they've got. Just like me trying to reach the top shelf.
people suck. i think it's very generous to chalk most of it up to being less intelligent.
Reply With Quote
  #3864  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:57 PM
Helena Lake's Avatar
Helena Lake Helena Lake is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon
Posts: 8,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
people suck. i think it's very generous to chalk most of it up to being less intelligent.


I don't think most people suck on purpose. They're just oblivious and wrapped up in their own world. They wander through with no thought or awareness of the ripples they leave behind.

Don't get me wrong - there are some genuine grade A malicious jerks out there, definitely. I just think there aren't all that many. I think that if most people knew and understood the impact they have on others, they'd be horrified and heartbroken.
__________________
This is where words go
Reply With Quote
  #3865  
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post


I don't think most people suck on purpose. They're just oblivious and wrapped up in their own world. They wander through with no thought or awareness of the ripples they leave behind.

Don't get me wrong - there are some genuine grade A malicious jerks out there, definitely. I just think there aren't all that many. I think that if most people knew and understood the impact they have on others, they'd be horrified and heartbroken.
this is why people suck imo

i exaggerate, of course. i love people, but i also hate them
Reply With Quote
  #3866  
Old 01-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Helena Lake's Avatar
Helena Lake Helena Lake is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon
Posts: 8,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
this is why people suck imo

i exaggerate, of course. i love people, but i also hate them
That's fair.
__________________
This is where words go
Reply With Quote
  #3867  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:05 PM
Breadmaker's Avatar
Breadmaker Breadmaker is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2009
Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness
Posts: 5,717
Default

The sole on my right shoe is coming off.
__________________
"I'm tryin' to think, but nuthin' happens!"
Reply With Quote
  #3868  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM
JollyGoodFCAS's Avatar
JollyGoodFCAS JollyGoodFCAS is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth (most of the time)
Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva
Posts: 38,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Fixed!

My spouse gets super angry at people all the time, because they don't pay attention to what's going on around them, they don't give any mind about the impacts they have on other people. I keep trying to remind him that (imo) this is related to intelligence. And when you're in the top 10% of the intelligence spectrum, that means that 9 out of every 10 people you run into is dumber than you. Half of them are dumber by a LOT.

So it's not like they do it on purpose, it's just that they're not really capable of it. They're doing the best they can with what they've got. Just like me trying to reach the top shelf.
Just goes to show that 50% of life is 90% mental
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
FCAS is the yoda of puns. He sprinkles little treasures when the pun gods smile upon us
Reply With Quote
  #3869  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM
JollyGoodFCAS's Avatar
JollyGoodFCAS JollyGoodFCAS is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth (most of the time)
Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva
Posts: 38,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grondin View Post
Yes, it is problematic. But that didn't stop AL from passing a law which came in force recently. If you don't pass someone within 1 mile, you have to clear the left lane. Haven't noticed much behavior difference.

More irritating to me is the "flashing lights" law. You have to drop 15 mph below speed limit for emergency vehicles on side of road and change lanes if possible. I would grudgingly accept 10. 15 just seems like enough to cause wrecks.
That's more or less the standard law around the country, though I don't know if they are as specific on speed. (I am assuming that it applies to vehicles traveling in the right lane only, or the left lane if that's where the accident is.) If there's a lot of traffic on the road then there will probably be enough of a slowdown that it won't be a problem, and if there is not a lot of traffic then changing lanes is easy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
FCAS is the yoda of puns. He sprinkles little treasures when the pun gods smile upon us
Reply With Quote
  #3870  
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3,894
Default

"Upgrades" to office that make it look like hot garbage.
__________________
If your grandfather starting raving about buying countries and being the chosen one, at the barest minimum you'd confiscate his car keys.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.28955 seconds with 12 queries