Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-20-2020, 01:48 AM

And finally, facebook obviously knows I'm a moderate to heavy drinker (well, not in January, but that's another thread). So, not only to I get ads for wine/whiskey/beer subscription services and hangover medicine, I also get ads for non-alcoholic beer and spirits (I don't even know what a non-alcoholic spirit is) and for a service called "One Year No Beer" So I don't know if Facebook is telling me to drink more or to drink less.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:49 AM

And, speaking of ads, I'll often will get an ad that seems interesting, but it ends up giving little to no information about what the product actually is. So I end up buying a a $40 bottle of a non-alcoholic "spirit" that literally tastes like dirt and didn't make me feel euphoric at all. Do. Not Buy.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:01 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
And speaking of reposts, what's the point of reposting something from a different social media platform? If it's a tweet, why not repost it on Twitter?
Lots of people aren't in every platform?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
twig, what was your question on cleaning? i'm sure I won't know the answer because being a slob is more my forte, but i'm curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I'm curious, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
Since you provided no details on what you were trying to clean and what the particular problem was, I'm forced to assume you were trying to clean up blood and the problem was involuntary manslaughter.
Flying Jís assumption is correct!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:53 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I don't think being rude is even against facebook rules.
My understanding is that the judging panel that determines FB infractions is a bunch of young guys who are having to review this stuff fast and furious so they're making on the fly decisions without much thought. I follow a handful of liberal/feminist pages that routinely complain that they get FB jailed (etc) for minor comments like yours (lots of trolls/anti's frequent these pages) - apparently saying "men are tr*sh" will get you immediately punished - but that threats of violence, sexual assault, and other misogynistic comments are regularly tolerated. So basically the oversight process is total crap, or at least poorly administered and subject to bias.

I'm a broken record here, but I wish there was a way to filter content from a single poster. I recently became friends with someone with a common hobby who has good posts on that, but there is way too much political crap in between, so I unfollowed him (after 2 days - it was that pervasive). I have another friend who posts some interesting stuff that I like to see, but she also posts like 50x a day, so it gets to be a little much. I wish FB could read my mind (in useful fashion) so I only see her posts that I find interesting.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Quote:
I'm a broken record here, but I wish there was a way to filter content from a single poster. I recently became friends with someone with a common hobby who has good posts on that, but there is way too much political crap in between, so I unfollowed him (after 2 days - it was that pervasive). I have another friend who posts some interesting stuff that I like to see, but she also posts like 50x a day, so it gets to be a little much. I wish FB could read my mind (in useful fashion) so I only see her posts that I find interesting.
My desired filter would be "No Links/Comments/Shared Posts". I'd like to see posts where someone talks about news in their life without seeing someone's comments on a news article or posts shared from some group.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:36 PM

I think if you do "hide this post" without unfollowing enough times the algorithm might start to filter the person's stuff by topic. Not sure though.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:14 PM
SOA AAA

Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
My desired filter would be "No Links/Comments/Shared Posts". I'd like to see posts where someone talks about news in their life without seeing someone's comments on a news article or posts shared from some group.
That's close to where I'd draw the line. But I suppose when someone in a group I am in dies, for instance, I am interested in what other members of the group have to say about that person, or their relationship with that person -- even if that post includes a link to the original post saying the guy died.

(I mean real-life groups that happen to be reflected on Facebook, not groups that only exist within Facebook. I don't use Facebook to know people just based on their Facebook presence.)