Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-20-2020, 12:08 PM
SOA

College: FSU

You could probably give him some general advice, and tell him that you don't have access to his case.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Bulldog Strong Ale

Despite my young age, it isn’t my first job but it’s the first time I face a situation like that: somebody’s asking for an help to me because of my job. You can feel my impatience.

To be clear, my friend was asking to have an easier conversation with the handler beacuase she probably don’t know, she didn’t ask to “influence” the deal, that is called fraud and I know from university. At least IMO.

As I said my morality is firm: respecting policies, behaving well with my company and also helping my friend. The point is I didn’t know to do so, practically.

What will I do? I think Westley DoctorNO TotalBro are right, It’s likely impossibile to find the claim handler. And even if I’ll find him/her, you clearly said it’s impossibile do something or it’s against the internal policies. So I would do nothing internally.
Maybe my friend is just looking for general advices like: how to do to file claim, get in touch with the handler, get paid... as one of your friends asks how to report a claim. I think it’s ok to help somebody to report a claim even if it’s your company.
I will discourage even a friend to report a claim against my company only if I am the CFO counting billions in the Bermuda Islands... LOL

Two notes:
Firstly, english isn’t my first language sorry for my typos and errors. Beside my grammar, you all caught the point so the quality of the message was Quiet Clear and good IMO.
Then, for sure I’m not a chief otherwise I wouldn't look for that advice on a public blog.

Last edited by Afac_8; 01-20-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Just tell your friend that you’re unable/unwilling to influence things. Should be an easy conversation, and a friend will definitely understand.

Also, if it’s a valid claim, there’s nothing wrong with telling your friend how to file it. That said, they’d probably get better advice pulling up a primer video on YouTube or something. Actuaries deal with things at a pretty aggregated level. We're not the ones reviewing pictures of a car crash to assess claim validity. I’ve never crashed my car, for instance, so I’d be pretty useless giving advice on how to report the crash to the auto insurer other than telling them to Google “how to file an auto claim at company XYZ.”
Old 01-20-2020, 05:38 PM
CAS

If your friend just wants "an easier time" you probably can help. I often help friends by describing the claim process, telling them what is and isn't covered under their policy, stuff like that.

So, for example, one friend was upset because her insurance company wanted her signature for them to subrograte the claim, and not knowing that words, she assumed they were trying to screw her over. When I explained how subrogation worked, and they just wanted permission to share her private information so THEY could effectively file a claim with someone else's insurer (and it would be transparent to her, except for this signature) she was much more comfortable with the process. I've similarly explained why the adjuster was asking for other information, what a typical time-line is, etc. There's lots you can do to help you friends just by sharing your understanding, without trying to influence their claim in your company's process.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank45 View Post
That being said, having poor English language skills is likely going to impede your career growth in the US insurance industry.
Just in case this isn't known: we do in fact allow people from outside the US insurance industry to post here.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Just in case this isn't known: we do in fact allow people from outside the US insurance industry to post here.
Since this question was posted in the careers section of the AO, I think itís a darn good bet that it pertains to business practices, legality, and ethics in either the US or Canada. But in a strictly pedantic sense, you are correct. Itís always possible that the OP is an employee of a company that is based in India or Peru.

You seem like a last word kind of guy, Wes, so Iíll let you take it now.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank45 View Post
Since this question was posted in the careers section of the AO, I think itís a darn good bet that it pertains to business practices, legality, and ethics in either the US or Canada. But in a strictly pedantic sense, you are correct. Itís always possible that the OP is an employee of a company that is based in India or Peru.

You seem like a last word kind of guy, Wes, so Iíll let you take it now.
I've posted here and have never worked in the US or Canada.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:08 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
True, but we (on average) have no experience and no credible advice to give in most of those situations.

OP: You should ask your boss if it is OK for you to exert influence on a claim for your friend.
Maybe you live in a country where such things are encouraged. But, you should realize the long-term effects on your country's insurance industry if such policies are allowed.
And, finally, think of yourself and your strict moral principles. Friends come and go, but once you lose your principles, who will you be? And what kind of friend asks you to change who you are, to their advantage?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 PM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

At first I was also skeptical of the poor grammar. But considering it says non-actuary under OP sig line maybe OP is claim adjuster or something and could actually do said task. This explains the foreign language idea as well.

@OP Under all circumstances this type of behavior is not only unethical, but also illegal. You should clearly inform that you cannot do this and could be fired for even attempting to find said claim.

Tags
etiquette; business;