Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-21-2020, 04:19 PM
CAS

I have several friends with "unlimited" time off. One worked at a company where the policy was "take as much time as you need,....but don't be needy". That was way worse than having days that you can take off guilt-free. Another is at a company where there actually is a standard. You can take up to X days without any extra permission, but after that you need to make a case. And if you take a lot fewer than "x" days, good managers will encourage you to take more. So really, they have X days off, but they don't accrue, and the company has no liability to pay them off if you leave. Since "X" is fairly generous, it's a perfectly fine policy.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:20 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Yeah, we typically donít travel for things like MLK day, but I get it. I have 5 weeks of PTO, so three more floating days isnít much value for me.

Interesting about unlimited vacation, Iíd heard of a few companies going to that and wondered if that could result. Like you now have to justify time off or whatever. With a bank of xx days per year you donít have to justify anything.
I've heard of people who can't even use up their entire bank of days. Never been an issue for me, probably helps that I stayed away from consulting.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:24 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
they do? sounds like a bible belt thing. i never worked for a company who gave off good friday. mixed on MLK day.
From a timing standpoint I'd strongly prefer GF; otherwise we wouldn't have any days off between Prez and Memorial (though usually I take vacation around that time anyway because of Passover). With MLK it's just 2-3 weeks after New Year's so it's not like I need to feel "refreshed."
Old 01-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I have several friends with "unlimited" time off. One worked at a company where the policy was "take as much time as you need,....but don't be needy".
lol would love to see a company put that phrasing in their HR manual.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:07 PM
CAS

i didn't take as much time off in 2019 as i usually do, so i've got almost a year of PTO accrued. i've never had that happen until now. looks like i'll wind up getting it all paid as unused PTO when i hang up the ol' pocket protector
Old 01-21-2020, 07:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
lol would love to see a company put that phrasing in their HR manual.
Yeah... pretty sure the HR manual just said you could take what you needed, but the rest was understood.

That company also laid off all the workers every year between Xmas and NY. It wasn't that they wanted to give their employees time off. It was that they typically ran out of cash, so they had to put everyone on unpaid furlough.

He now works for Apple, at an undisclosed location, doing something secret. (I think it's something to do with screen technology. But he can't tell me more than extremely vague generalities, and the location where he works really is secret.) Apple pays better and has more predictable employee benefits than his prior employer.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
they do? sounds like a bible belt thing. i've never worked for a company who gave off good friday. mixed on MLK day.
Last few companies I've worked for all gave off Good Friday and not MLK, and none of these companies were located in the "bible belt" (Great Plains, Midwest). Some companies used a different title like "spring holiday" or "spring break" and one of them even explicitly said "Good Friday"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
From a timing standpoint I'd strongly prefer GF; otherwise we wouldn't have any days off between Prez and Memorial (though usually I take vacation around that time anyway because of Passover). With MLK it's just 2-3 weeks after New Year's so it's not like I need to feel "refreshed."
Forget preference. In my head, the only distinction is one being a nationally recognized holiday (everyone can celebrate) and one being a religious holiday (only a select group of people can celebrate).
Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Forget preference. In my head, the only distinction is one being a nationally recognized holiday (everyone can celebrate) and one being a religious holiday (only a select group of people can celebrate).
Stock Market is closed on both days
Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
I dont think MLK day is celebrated where I am from...

They just call it a 'bank holiday'.