Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funemployed View Post
I highly disagree. Also, we have something called "air conditioning" that takes care of most of the sweating. Besides, I wouldn't call 70s/80s "sweating your ass off weather". There's the 90s in July/August, but the rest of the year is damn near perfect!

The only annoying thing is all the damn old farts that can't drive around here.
Yeah, you and I have different metabolilsms. Florida is humid. 85 and humid is miserable, and I don't want to be outdoors. I certainly don't want to do anything that involves moving around in that sort of weather. Whereas I can be really comfortable outdoors except for a few days in the summer, and the handful of winter days when it gets below about 18F, or I guess when it's rainy and below 40 is nasty, too. (Being outdoors in the snow is nice. But rainy and 35F is pretty unpleasant. Although it's better since I bought a waterproof winter jacket.)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: PBR

Quote:
I highly disagree. Also, we have something called "air conditioning" that takes care of most of the sweating. Besides, I wouldn't call 70s/80s "sweating your ass off weather". There's the 90s in July/August, but the rest of the year is damn near perfect!

The only annoying thing is all the damn old farts that can't drive around here.
lmao dude i have family in FL, you're a joker if you think the 90s are limited to july/august. it was 90 degrees in november last year while i was visiting. from march to october it's just stupid humid every second of every day. every time i go down there besides in january i'm sweating my balls off as soon as i step outside. air conditioning is nice while you're inside, but if you're inside all the time who cares if you're in FL or MN?

florida can float off into the ocean for all i care, that place is the worst.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaverford View Post
...if you're inside all the time who cares if you're in FL or MN?...
Pretty much this. We heat buildings pretty effectively in the winter up here. Although I suppose we do need to deal with removing snow, which is what led to this topic.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Yeah.... gotta disagree here. 70 degrees is great.. .but 70 F at 98% humidity is still hell as far as I'm concerned. And I lived in FL for a good long time. Don't miss it (or the gigantic palmetto bugs that literally fly right at your face) one bit.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:17 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

Also, you know that sweat is actually good for you, right? No need to be a sweatophobe.

I'd rather go home and have to take a shower than have to get up an extra half hour early every morning to go scrape/clean off my car, shovel the driveway, etc in uncomfortable temps.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM
SOA

Things that bother me more than I should:

People who are convinced that the choices that are right for them are the choices that are right for other people, presumably because they can't figure out that other people have different preferences than themselves.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Also, you know that sweat is actually good for you, right? No need to be a sweatophobe.

I'd rather go home and have to take a shower than have to get up an extra half hour early every morning to go scrape/clean off my car, shovel the driveway, etc in uncomfortable temps.
True - but I'd personally rather have sweat that acctually accomplishes something for me other than making me wet.

I'd rather have 100 degrees dry than 85 degrees humid.

I don't mind cold and show either, FWIW.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:31 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaverford View Post
lmao dude i have family in FL, you're a joker if you think the 90s are limited to july/august. it was 90 degrees in november last year while i was visiting. from march to october it's just stupid humid every second of every day. every time i go down there besides in january i'm sweating my balls off as soon as i step outside. air conditioning is nice while you're inside, but if you're inside all the time who cares if you're in FL or MN?

florida can float off into the ocean for all i care, that place is the worst.
Depends on where in FL you are - north/south, how close you are to the coast, etc.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:33 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
also hurricanes
Hurricanes were pretty bad this year, but maybe next year they'll win a bowl game
Old 01-22-2020, 01:35 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i live in ATL and keep scrapers in our vehicles
I should probably get one, doesn't really come to mind when your house has a garage