Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
In my house, decorations stay up until Feb 13.

We had to make a rule that they needed to be down before Valentines. My SO likes sparkly things and pretty lights; I suspect he is part crow.
Yeah, I said “should”, not “do”. Our tree came down this morning and the primary motivation was that the cleaning lady was coming and I wanted her to be able to vacuum under/around where we’d had it. It’s been naked since the weekend, but only actually came down when we could not possibly postpone it any longer. (If we wanted to make the cleaning lady window, anyway.)

I unplugged the lights, and all of the candles in the windows back on 1/6 though, so it least it wasn’t obvious to anyone outside that we were so far behind. Of course the neighborhood is almost entirely Jewish, so it’s not like the neighbors care, but still...

I noticed one neighbor had a giant menorah in his yard long after Chanukah was over. I don’t know if Jews have rules about such things or not, but if they do he was probably non-compliant.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Soooo... hoping I don't come across as rude or anything... but is there anything really celebratory and happy about judaism?
passover rocks. we eat and are obligated to drink wine until we puke.

we don't need shiny crap to feel good.

probably others, but i'm not a very observant jew.
Spoiler:
Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Yeah, I said ďshouldĒ, not ďdoĒ. Our tree came down this morning and the primary motivation was that the cleaning lady was coming and I wanted her to be able to vacuum under/around where weíd had it. Itís been naked since the weekend, but only actually came down when we could not possibly postpone it any longer. (If we wanted to make the cleaning lady window, anyway.)

I unplugged the lights, and all of the candles in the windows back on 1/6 though, so it least it wasnít obvious to anyone outside that we were so far behind. Of course the neighborhood is almost entirely Jewish, so itís not like the neighbors care, but still...

I noticed one neighbor had a giant menorah in his yard long after Chanukah was over. I donít know if Jews have rules about such things or not, but if they do he was probably non-compliant.
most jews don't have a giant menorah in their yard to begin with.
Spoiler:
Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
True... he was the only one! He could control the lights on each candle independently. I wasnít auditing the lights daily for accuracy, but there were certainly more lights as we got longer into Chanukah. I was really curious whether he had to go outside and manually adjust it every day or whether he could control it inside or if it was on some kind of timer where every 24 hours it lit another candle.

I donít really know this neighbor at all though and I figured he probably didnít want some shiksa bothering him with annoying questions.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I noticed one neighbor had a giant menorah in his yard long after Chanukah was over. I donít know if Jews have rules about such things or not, but if they do he was probably non-compliant.
Quote:
Jews have tons of rules. We are all about rules. But I don't think there's a rule about putting away the menorah. (There is a rule about which order to light the candles, and when to say the blessing...) Anyway, the only homeowners I've ever seen to have a giant menorah in their yard are Lubuvitchers, and they leave it there all year. It doesn't technically count as a Hanukkah oil lamp because it's electric. (Candles count as "oil" because the flame melts the wax to liquid before it burns.) I think it's purpose is to announce, "THERE ARE JEWS HERE". Not to commemorate Hanukkah. As ao fan says, that's a minor holiday that Jews celebrate so we feel less left out when the Christians are all exchanging presents.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 PM
CAS

I have a friend who keeps "Christmas lights" on her porch all year round. She just likes the colored lights. They make it easy to find her house.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Jews have tons of rules. We are all about rules. But I don't think there's a rule about putting away the menorah.
This was my thinking, but thereís much about Judaism that I donít know.

Quote:
It doesn't technically count as a Hanukkah oil lamp because it's electric. (Candles count as "oil" because the flame melts the wax to liquid before it burns.)
Iím sure he probably also has a smaller candle version inside the house. But I didnít know that about the candles; thatís interesting.

Quote:
As ao fan says, that's a minor holiday that Jews celebrate so we feel less left out when the Christians are all exchanging presents.
Christmas also pales in importance to Easter and Maundy Thursday. There are several Christian denominations that do not celebrate Christmas at all, but do celebrate Maundy Thursday (under a variety of names: Holy Thursday, Feast of the Lordís supper to name a few).

But it turns out that presents are popular... in any religion.

Christmas itself is Christianityís answer to a pagan holiday around the time of the winter solstice.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 PM
SOA

It makes sense that thereís no rule about the menorahs. If there was, it seems unlikely that my neighbor wouldnít have followed it. He walks to services on Saturday, so he seems pretty devout.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:03 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Disagree

u∑ti∑lize
/ˈyo͞odlˌīz/
Learn to pronounce
verb
make practical and effective use of.
"vitamin C helps your body utilize the iron present in your diet"

"Utilize" goes beyond "use".

But too often, especially in a business setting, it's overused.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
I DID NOT KNOW THIS! i just scanned this actuarial application i'm doing for that word and i used it...way too many times. now i need to find an alternate word. SOMEONE GIVE ME ONE!
Hint hint

But to stop being an ass about this - just see if the word "use" [or whatever tense you need] will work in place of "utilize".

The same goes for "utilization" and "usage". I don't have an issue when it's a standard term, like "utilization rate", but one does notice when it gets a bit out of control

LinkedIn Profile