Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-22-2020, 01:55 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

There is a difference between them being helpful human being saying "we can't help you, but here are some things to consider that might help you in your search" and a switch flipping from them being a normal person to them being agitated and obnoxious. I understand for all of those reasons why there was no benefit that I could provide to them. But the way both of these people handled it sucked and they could have figured out 15-20 minutes beforehand I was just about to graduate if they had just asked me. A decent human being might take a few minutes to say the job market is tough for EL, but here are some things to consider doing to making yourself more marketable. There ended up being a nice lady from another recruiting firm who I spoke to on many occasions that would give me suggestions. Just be a decent human being. This other firm wasn't and I haven't forgotten it. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:17 PM
CAS

Studying for eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsATrap View Post
Dim Witted Stupid recruiting firm
care to tell me who it is?

Old 01-22-2020, 04:53 PM
SOA

maybe the recruiter was having a rough month, not landing much, getting frustrated with another FSA that was like 'lol, jk not really gonna move' and this was the 10th EL candidate to say 'i has job now?' this week.

I got pissed once when I got ghosted early on and it really rubbed me the wrong way. I learned not to take this stuff personally. but unfortunately, early on is when you do take this stuff personally.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 PM
SOA

When I was entry level, I talked to a recruiter at Delightful Wonderful Stupendous recruiting firm, and he had an encouraging conversation with me explaining how I wouldn't be able to use a recruiter to get into the field. He did a good job of managing my expectations.

That person moved on to another company, but years later when a different recruiter from the same company talked to me, I realized that the new recruiter might be different. I went in with an open mind, and they too turned out to be very pleasant, professional, and courteous with contact. I will probably use that recruiter if I change jobs.

After reading these posts, I'd bet that Dim Witted Stupid company is probably OK with you avoiding them.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:28 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Annoyed View Post
After reading these posts, I'd bet that Dim Witted Stupid company is probably OK with you avoiding them.
Exactly, because I love the company that I work for, so any attempt to get me to consider other companies would be pointless. Glad you picked up on that too.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Latest Contingencies issue has a history of the rise and leveling off of the Actuarial Field as "Greatest Ever Job Ever."
Mostly stuff I already knew, like the Jobs Rated Almanac declaring Actuary #1 in 1989 and the resulting flood of applicants for EL positions, causing at least one company to ask me, "Are you here because of the #1 rating?" Having passed my exams several years before that, I had a perfectly cromulent answer.

The article is more about some irrational fear of so-called "Data Scientists" terking ur jerbs.
http://contingencies.org/data-science/
I didn't find anything in that article irrational. I thought it was pretty good.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsATrap View Post
Exactly, because I love the company that I work for, so any attempt to get me to consider other companies would be pointless. Glad you picked up on that too.
That's a trap.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 PM

lolz
Old 01-24-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
yikes, I could imagine that kind of treatment from HR, but not an actuary.
Um....Did you forget the red font here?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 AM
CAS

I haven't been the person who might have responded to an entry level candidate in decades. So i don't know what the norms are. I know i had to hire a couple of analysts in the last few years, and I did write back to everyone who made it as far as a phone screen. But...
1) that's not an easy email to write
2) I absolutely delayed writing to candidates who were...hmm.... minimally qualified, but I wasn't excited to hire. I didn't want to give a hard "no thanks" until I had a better candidate lined up.

My employer hires a lot of El actuaries over a period of months. I wonder if hr might delay writing back to reasonably good candidates they talk to early on, while they wait and see what the rest of the pool will look like. Dunno.

That's a job i applied for 25 years ago that i never heard back from. In retrospect, I wonder if i was minimally qualified for that job, but by the time they found someone they actually liked they'd forgotten about me.

Last edited by Lucy; 01-24-2020 at 08:09 AM..

Tags
ghosting