Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 PM
SOA

Default SOA Membership Dues and CE Credits in Non Actuarial Role

If I am currently in a non-actuarial role, is it okay to let my membership dues and CE credits lapse? My company and position is making it really difficult to reimburse me for these fees since I am in a non-actuarial position.

If I decide to get back into a traditional actuarial role, will I be able to just start paying the membership dues and start taking CE credits again?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
A fellow or associate who has resigned or who has been dropped for nonpayment of dues may be reinstated subject to Admissions Committee approval upon completion of an application for reinstatement, compliance with whatever requirements are then in effect, and payment of back dues (currently limited to two years' dues), and current year dues.
https://www.soa.org/about/membership/member-dues/
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 01-14-2020, 06:20 AM

It's a risk, because "compliance with whatever requirements are then in effect" is open-ended. No idea of the current requirements but it could depend on how long you are out, with a short period just needing back-payment of dues and some demonstrable CE but a long period being more onerous. If you are out for a long time, and the profession has moved on significantly, would you be happy to take exams?

And of course you can't use any letters once your membership lapses; if you want, or need, to switch jobs that could be an issue.

I once had a few years when my employer wouldn't reimburse, and decided to just pay the dues myself. Could be different to your situation as I always envisaged that long-term I would stay in actuarial roles.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
SOA

It sounds like it makes sense to just pay the membership dues out of pocket, which I will do so. Thank you for the advice.

Regarding Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Requirements, is it okay to let it lapse until I am in a traditional actuarial role?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM
CAS SOA

Lapsing CPD if you are not in an actuarial role is pretty common, IME.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren_St View Post
If I am currently in a non-actuarial role, is it okay to let my membership dues and CE credits lapse? My company and position is making it really difficult to reimburse me for these fees since I am in a non-actuarial position.
I understand your question about the dues but CE is free.

CE is basically "did you learn something for X hours this year"? You surely did.

Some of those hours have to be formal, but there are free ways to get that. Some have to be ethics related, so read some articles about ethics.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:59 AM
Non-Actuary

Where do you see yourself down the line? The fees arenít cheap. Annual dues for CAS/AAA combined were $1,300 this year. Iíd guess the SOA has similar fees. I certainly wouldnít want to pay those out of pocket unless I was 100% sure I was planning to get back into an actuarial role within a very short time horizon. If you expect to stay in non-actuarial roles going forward, there are certainly better ways to spend $1,300/year than funding the actuarial organizations.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Where do you see yourself down the line? The fees arenít cheap. Annual dues for CAS/AAA combined were $1,300 this year. Iíd guess the SOA has similar fees. I certainly wouldnít want to pay those out of pocket unless I was 100% sure I was planning to get back into an actuarial role within a very short time horizon. If you expect to stay in non-actuarial roles going forward, there are certainly better ways to spend $1,300/year than funding the actuarial organizations.
There are quite a few of us who are employed but don't join the AAA due to expense, lack of need, and company non-reimbursement.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
The fees arenít cheap. Annual dues for CAS/AAA combined were $1,300 this year. .
I pay SOA dues on my own (non actuarial role), but I don't think there is any reason to pay AAA dues.