Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 01-15-2020, 01:03 PM
SOA

Default Split King Tempur-Pedic with adjustable frame: worth it?

My thread title may seem overly specific, but it's really combining multiple questions:

1) Is a Tempur-Pedic worth it? Clearly there are a lot of much cheaper mattresses available. But my wife and I haven't found one we like as much as their Pro Adapt series in the medium hybrid variety. It just seems to be the perfect blend of the advantages of memory foam, inner spring, and cooling technology. I try not to get caught up in marketing hype ... but they actually seem to be delivering on their promise. I tried older models years ago in stores, and didn't like them at all. But this one I very much liked, over anything else I've tried.

2) Is an adjustable frame worth it? The zero gravity position for sleeping, as well as the upright position for reading and watching TV, plus the ability to tweak either or come up with any variety of head and foot elevation, just seems like it would be really nice. It was certainly comfortable in the showroom. Plus, I'm using a wedge today, anyway, to try to elevate my upper body, but it's not doing it super effectively.

3) Is a split king annoying? I like the idea of my wife and I having the ability to adjust our portion of the bed however we want, as there are many nights when one of us will stay up reading much later than the other. Plus, while we've purchased two of the exact same mattress, we have 120 days to swap out for different ones. So if one of us decides that the medium is too soft or too firm, that person could change and the other could stick with what we got. The only downside is you have this weird valley in the middle of what would otherwise be a continuous king size bed.

Any feedback much appreciated, including derision.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM
CAS

1) If you like it and it won't cause you financial ruin, go for it.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 01-15-2020, 01:21 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
My thread title may seem overly specific, but it's really combining multiple questions:

1) Is a Tempur-Pedic worth it? Clearly there are a lot of much cheaper mattresses available. But my wife and I haven't found one we like as much as their Pro Adapt series in the medium hybrid variety. It just seems to be the perfect blend of the advantages of memory foam, inner spring, and cooling technology. I try not to get caught up in marketing hype ... but they actually seem to be delivering on their promise. I tried older models years ago in stores, and didn't like them at all. But this one I very much liked, over anything else I've tried.

2) Is an adjustable frame worth it? The zero gravity position for sleeping, as well as the upright position for reading and watching TV, plus the ability to tweak either or come up with any variety of head and foot elevation, just seems like it would be really nice. It was certainly comfortable in the showroom. Plus, I'm using a wedge today, anyway, to try to elevate my upper body, but it's not doing it super effectively.

3) Is a split king annoying? I like the idea of my wife and I having the ability to adjust our portion of the bed however we want, as there are many nights when one of us will stay up reading much later than the other. Plus, while we've purchased two of the exact same mattress, we have 120 days to swap out for different ones. So if one of us decides that the medium is too soft or too firm, that person could change and the other could stick with what we got. The only downside is you have this weird valley in the middle of what would otherwise be a continuous king size bed.

Any feedback much appreciated, including derision.
1) we just switched from tempurpedic to avocado after 10 years. I really prefer our avocado over the old mattress. And the tempurpedic that I had was their top of the line King when I purchased it back then (~$5,000)

2) We are looking into this, but have not pulled the trigger. Trying to find a decent one that has all the features we want. Let me know what you decide. Curious what you pick out.

3) 9 months now. So far so good. There is a gap, which can be annoying. Rotating the beds occasionally does help, but doesn't completely eliminate the gap. But the gap isn't huge

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 01-15-2020, 02:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
1) we just switched from tempurpedic to avocado after 10 years. I really prefer our avocado over the old mattress. And the tempurpedic that I had was their top of the line King when I purchased it back then (~$5,000)
Which one? The Avocado Green? I see excellent reviews for that mattress, and had been strongly considering it. But my wife hates the idea of buying something we can't try in person first. Yes, they have a fantastic return policy (they donate to a local charity, if possible), so we don't have to worry about getting stuck with something we don't want. If I bring up the charity thing again, maybe I could talk her into trying it.

On the other hand, this AdaptPro in a hybrid version just came out in 2018, and is apparently rather different than the Tempur-Pedic mattresses that existed 10 years ago. I remember trying out Tempur-Pedics about that long ago, and didn't care for it at the time, but I'm not sure if I tried the top-of-the-line.

Quote:
2) We are looking into this, but have not pulled the trigger. Trying to find a decent one that has all the features we want. Let me know what you decide. Curious what you pick out.
If we go Tempur-Pedic, we'll get their adjustable base. My wife is worried that if we mix and match brands and have a problem with the Tempur-Pedic mattress, they'll try to say that it was the fault of using a different company's base. If it weren't for that, I would be seriously tempted by GhostBed's adjustable base. Then again, this is another one that you can't try out anywhere before buying. Even more annoyingly, they don't accept returns! But they're a lot cheaper than Tempur-Pedic, and have all the same features, it seems.

Quote:
3) 9 months now. So far so good. There is a gap, which can be annoying. Rotating the beds occasionally does help, but doesn't completely eliminate the gap. But the gap isn't huge
I'm curious why you got separate Twin XL's if you don't have an adjustable base. Was it because you thought you might buy the adjustable base down the road?

I talked to a coworker today who said they got the Split King, but her husband couldn't stand the gap, so they swapped their mattress out for a regular King. Pretty much all decent adjustable bases can be synced so that the separate bases work together in unison for a single King mattress.

Last edited by Egghead; 01-15-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 02:21 PM
SOA AAA

Short answer: No. But that's based on my situation, not yours. So, really, not relevant advice.
We recently switched to one of those boxed, shrink-wrapped mattresses, after changing from a queen-size (we've had it since 1997 or so) to a king-size. It's fine.
And reading should be done in chairs.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-15-2020, 02:24 PM
SOA

I like avocado's as much as the next guy, but they don't seem very comfortable to sleep on.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I like avocado's as much as the next guy, but they don't seem very comfortable to sleep on.
Agreed. It's the pits.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
Agreed. It's the pits.
Holey guacamole that was bad!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
Agreed. It's the pits.
Holy guacamole that was bad!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
Holey guacamole that was bad!
This Haas to be the worst pun of the week.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen