Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-17-2020, 02:57 PM
CAS

Default Ghosting

Has ghosting become the new normal during the job search? I find it to be the defining social behavior of the 2010s, and to me, it is very passive aggressive and rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 01-17-2020, 02:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
Has ghosting become the new normal during the job search? I find it to be the defining social behavior of the 2010s, and to me, it is very passive aggressive and rude.
I had a couple pretty egregious experiences with that when I was first out of college with non-actuarial employers. In my searches since then though I haven't dealt with it, at least not when you're past the very initial stage.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Agree it's rude, and happens too much at all levels - WAAAAYYYY too much at EL. Not sure why you call it passive-aggressive. I don't think that's what's going on. It's just lazy commoditization of the HR process. I don't think it's yet become the norm (or even close) outside of EL.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Not sure why you call it passive-aggressive.
It leaves the person in a state of not really knowing where they stand for an indefinite period of time. This can really take a toll on someone's psyche. Just be up-front, at minimum say they're not under consideration.

Quote:
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 PM
CAS

As an aside, I've never had so much email that I can't fire off a one- or two-sentence reply to someone. People giving excuses like "I'm swamped" is lame and really flat-out lazy.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Wharmpess

Quote:
It certainly seems like it. Relatively recently I had phone interviews with two different supposedly reputable employers who simply ghosted after the interviews. Both times the calls seem to go well and both were 2nd round with managers after getting past HR and reviewing references. Now itís absolute silence, even after I followed up. I donít remember getting ghosted after interviews this much in the past. At the very least if I followed up Iíd get an auto rejection or something. Itís been long enough now that itís safe to say I didnít get the positions but Iím bothered by the unprofessionalism. At this rate, seems like getting ghosted after final round on-sites is what will happen next.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

I'm still waiting on hearing back from one where they flew me in for an all day session meeting 8 people. That was actuarial about 15 years ago.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:23 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

I still daydream about one day being on a client site, being introduced to a recruiter who ghosted me, and saying "I remember you. You interviewed me and then never responded, despite several follow-ups".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
I'm still waiting on hearing back from one where they flew me in for an all day session meeting 8 people. That was actuarial about 15 years ago.
Wait until they do a system migration and forget to block term letters.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Newspeak
College: Ministry of Truth
Favorite beer: Victory Gin

Quote:
You have become an unperson.

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength
Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 PM
Non-Actuary

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=257931
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;

Tags
ghosting