Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-27-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Personal impacts of Covid-19

We have threads for the disease itself, and for political and economic impacts, this is more about personal impacts.

Wide open discussion IMO, and not sure if people care to discuss, but obviously will affect a lot of local businesses - maybe your favorite local bar or restaurant will close (interestingly my local pub that I love(d) closed on March 1).

Or your wife gets pregnant or leaves you (could be both) because of the time isolated together.

The actual intention for this is more about philosophical thoughts, like the fact that I've had a lot of free time at home this last week and have re-considered some of my focus - that I've stepped away from some of my charity involvement to make time for other things (work mostly), which I'm now wondering if I'm ok with as I see a lot of pain in the community that I want to get more involved with.

Or anything else.

How is your life changing personally, or will change?

Not intended as a discussion of the short-term impacts of shelter-in-place and the like, but that's fine to - nothing's off limits, just not my intent.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM
CAS

The longer schools stay closed, the more I wonder if all curricula will have to be revised to take into account the fact that a lot of students across the country are missing out on, what, a quarter of their school year? Does every teacher from college down have to adjust their expectations for an entire generation of students are a few months behind, or a few months father behind, anyway?

Some counties are moving stuff online at the high school level, at least, from what I hear. Our county almost certainly won't be, and I think, depending on how long this lasts, there's a real conversation we should have about how this pandemic will exacerbate existing inequalities in education (e.g., I would assume richer counties will be much better able to serve their students online, whereas poorer counties will have a lot of kids who might not even have the hardware and internet access sufficient to pull that off).
Old 03-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Personally, all of the impacts are positive or have a "silver lining" aspect:
  • Got some solid time getting to know our daughter's boyfriend, who's spent the past 14 days with us.

• Daughter--a sophomore in college--is now doing virtual classes here in our home. So getting to see a lot more of her.

• Wife fell down and broke her arm recently. Being WFH, I joined her on the walk; so was able to provide immediate assistance (including getting in to see the doctor).

• Tying everything above together, there's help from a variety of sources for my wife navigate working without an arm that she usually has access to.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-27-2020, 02:47 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed a Little Light View Post
The longer schools stay closed, the more I wonder if all curricula will have to be revised to take into account the fact that a lot of students across the country are missing out on, what, a quarter of their school year? Does every teacher from college down have to adjust their expectations for an entire generation of students are a few months behind, or a few months father behind, anyway?

Some counties are moving stuff online at the high school level, at least, from what I hear. Our county almost certainly won't be, and I think, depending on how long this lasts, there's a real conversation we should have about how this pandemic will exacerbate existing inequalities in education (e.g., I would assume richer counties will be much better able to serve their students online, whereas poorer counties will have a lot of kids who might not even have the hardware and internet access sufficient to pull that off).
Most universities will have incoming freshmen take a "placement" exam to see if they might need "remedial" courses in language (i.e., reading comprehension) and/or mathematics.

There is also a good chunk of kids that are home schooled. So the current environment will have very little--if any--impact on them. Their biggest disruption might be doing their work in a different location as one parent utilizes space for their WFH set up.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed a Little Light View Post

IMO, it'll work itself out in 2-3 years. Curriculum isn't 100% efficient and things can be cut/skipped/not thoroughly tested to get back to pre-COVID grade level expectations.

Yeah, it'll impact poorer families and kids with 504s/IEPs/ED more than the normal student. Not sure what can be done in the next 2-3 months, but hopefully schools will open in the fall and districts will have plans in place (but i'm not holding my breath).
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 03-27-2020, 02:58 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

I was musing to myself the other day that a lot of couples were going to get divorced by the end of this.

I won't be one of those couples, but I do find myself having to be very intentional about my time with Mr. NA now. Too much togetherness is not a good thing for us, and yet with very little to do it's easy to accidentally spend too much time in the other's space when they need a break.

So, I've been affected by being more conscious of my "me" time and allowing Mr. NA opportunities to do the same.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:02 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter

I have avoided the AO for the past 5+ weeks because I have been dealing with a personal tragedy that has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis. This thread seems to be a good opportunity for me to do some therapeutic sharing.

My son was in a horrific accident on February 18: hit by an SUV while bicycling to work. For the first 24 hours we were unsure he would live. He survived but was in a deep coma for about three weeks afterwards. He is emerging from the coma now but we have no idea what his long term condition will be as he suffered a traumatic brain injury along with broken bones, etc. We visited him daily in the ICU after the accident but otherwise we followed strict social distancing in the fear of contracting the virus and infecting him. There was a COVID-19 patient near his room in the ICU but we were assured we and he were safe.

His hospital, not surprisingly, subsequently banned all visitors. As difficult as that has been for us, it was the right decision obviously. So the impact of COVID-19 on us has been to just add a layer of anxiety on us as we can no longer visit him. The company our son and oldest daughter work for is a tour company that has been devastated by the virus so we also have worries about her future with the firm. Her husband is in movie production so he was laid off a month ago. Their two kids will probably not return to school this term so their parents have the stress of keeping them occupied.

So my message is that there are folks out there who have stresses that may be greater than the stress of catching the COVID-19 virus and they are having a hard time of it. My son’s accident was the third tragic incident to hit the Cooke family recently so things can only get better.

Thanks Westley for a thread to get this off my chest.

Alan
Old 03-27-2020, 03:06 PM
SOA AAA

Social-distance-approved hugs for Cooke.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-27-2020, 03:07 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam

for Alan and family
Old 03-27-2020, 03:14 PM
CAS

I recently had a house under contract. Currently renting in a major city with a boatload of cash. I decided to walk away during the inspection contingency because I didn't like the idea of buying during a pandemic and recession. Time will tell if it was a good decision. The rental lease will be renewed soon.