Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-27-2020, 04:35 PM

I'm expecting people to be a bit more germaphobic after this.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
In the Brock Turner case, my view that she had some responsibility was very limited: she got black-out drunk... at a frat party... where she didn't know anyone other than her sister. She made herself incredibly vulnerable in a room full of drunken college students, where frats already have an association with rape. She can wear whatever she wants... but she made herself incapable of even expressing an opinion about whether she wanted to leave the party with him or not.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Non-Actuary

I work for a retail chain (in their corporate office, IT) which has closed all stores to the public. Stores now only have minimal staff to ship online orders and receive shipments that can't be cancelled or sent back.

With that massive reduction in sales, I figured it wouldn't be long before corporate employees would get hit too. I was expecting layoffs, but they decided to do across-the-board corporate pay cuts instead, and then reevaluate in two weeks whether to end or extend the pay cuts or do something else. So I'll apparently still have a job for the next two weeks, but at a reduced salary. I can still pay all my bills and save some money, so right now the hurt is mainly the psychological aspect of wondering how long my job will continue to exist, not financial difficulties.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
I have avoided the AO for the past 5+ weeks because I have been dealing with a personal tragedy that has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis. This thread seems to be a good opportunity for me to do some therapeutic sharing.

My son was in a horrific accident on February 18: hit by an SUV while bicycling to work. For the first 24 hours we were unsure he would live. He survived but was in a deep coma for about three weeks afterwards. He is emerging from the coma now but we have no idea what his long term condition will be as he suffered a traumatic brain injury along with broken bones, etc. We visited him daily in the ICU after the accident but otherwise we followed strict social distancing in the fear of contracting the virus and infecting him. There was a COVID-19 patient near his room in the ICU but we were assured we and he were safe.

His hospital, not surprisingly, subsequently banned all visitors. As difficult as that has been for us, it was the right decision obviously. So the impact of COVID-19 on us has been to just add a layer of anxiety on us as we can no longer visit him. The company our son and oldest daughter work for is a tour company that has been devastated by the virus so we also have worries about her future with the firm. Her husband is in movie production so he was laid off a month ago. Their two kids will probably not return to school this term so their parents have the stress of keeping them occupied.

So my message is that there are folks out there who have stresses that may be greater than the stress of catching the COVID-19 virus and they are having a hard time of it. My sonís accident was the third tragic incident to hit the Cooke family recently so things can only get better.

Thanks Westley for a thread to get this off my chest.

Alan
Sorry to hear about this. I lost a close relative in a similar incident in the late 1980's.

Hope things turn out well enough and that you'll be able to see your kid very soon.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Ouch that sucks, hope she feels better soon.
Thanks! She's doing well enough having the arm stabilized enough to last until the surgery gets done (sometime next week).

With the current state of medical "necessity," we're not likely to need to wait more than a day or two after meeting with the surgeon on Monday.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Having read some of the above, what's to complain about.

Sorry to hear about your son Cooke. Wishing him and your family the best. (and the 3rd tragedy...good heavens.)

My wife is immune suppressed (lot of autoimmune issues and the treatments include immuno suppressant drugs). So she is super nervous about her exposure. I am just bored and trying not to annoy her and the family with all my usual schtick.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
I was musing to myself the other day that a lot of couples were going to get divorced by the end of this.
not me, one of us will be dead at the hands of the other before it's all over
Old 03-27-2020, 05:40 PM

The US State Dept was able to get a family member from Ecuador to Miami today. Ecuador was kinda heating up with COVID19.

I'm having to learn all the technology and modern communication that I had sworn off. I'm in touch again with many more people now, for better or worse. But I draw the line at joining Facebook!
Old 03-27-2020, 05:47 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Fat Tire, Corona

I'm so sorry Cooke. I can't even imagine. Hoping for the best for your family.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:51 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Alan, I wish your son a speedy and complete recovery!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

I just found out that my sister in law and niece are both sick with COVID, quarantined in their home with oxygen, and having a rough time of it. My brother in law recently had a liver transplant... so far he's not showing any symptoms, but it's definitely got my mother in law very stressed out.