Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
SOA

College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man

I agree. If people want kids, the first thing they should do is come up with a plan to do so. And being financially responsible is a pretty good first step.

Hey Campbell, thanks for the spreadsheet
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy Boy View Post
I agree. If people want kids, the first thing they should do is come up with a plan to do so. And being financially responsible is a pretty good first step.

Hey Campbell, thanks for the spreadsheet
Sure thing -- if you have any combos you think I should add, let me know.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikid View Post
That's a slight exaggeration...basically they made an exception for plans that have multiple benefit adminstrators: so long as each one individually complies with the OOP limit in 2014, they don't have to cross-accumulate to the same OOP limit.

It's basically a concession made mostly for large employers that carve out their Rx coverage to give them time to cooridate cost-sharing, it won't have any impact on the premiums charged in the Individual market.
Ah, okay. I realize there are lots of details I'm missing. Even in putting the exchange subsidy spreadsheet together, I realized there were a lot of fiddly details that would have to deal with issues such as a change of employment during the year (which I know there's something for, but I'm not even bothering to learn right now)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

http://www.lifehealthpro.com/2013/08...&_LID=97617789

Quote:
The Internal Revenue Service is about to publish a regulation that will help it send information from tax returns to the new health insurance exchange system.

The IRS developed the regulation to implement Section 6103(L)(21) of the Internal Revenue Code.

The IRC Section 6103(L)(21) and the new regulation authorize the IRS to give the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act exchange program information about a taxpayer's adjusted gross income, Social Security benefits not included in gross income, and basic information that could explain why an individual did not need to file a separate tax return.

The regulation also would let the IRS notify the exchange system when an individual collects health insurance subsidy tax credits in advance, then fails to file a tax return.

The regulation is supposed to appear in the Federal Register on Wednesday.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Benefits brokers can join the health insurance exchange outreach team, if they "take off their insurance broker hats" while pounding the pavement or staffing exchange education tables.

Jessica Barba Brown, an Enroll America rep, talked about how insurance agents and brokers can get involved.

Enroll America is helping the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act exchanges reach out to uninsured consumers. The organization says it now has about 130 staff members and about 3,000 volunteers on its team.

Insurance agents and brokers who simply want to support the exchanges, or are in states in which the exchanges have not yet completed work on the exchange broker certification process, can volunteer for Enroll America by going to GetCoveredAmerica.org, Barba Brown said.

While getting trained and volunteering in the field, "they cannot promote any specific insurance plans or products," Barba Brown said. "They are not allowed to give advice on which plans to choose or specifics about any financial help that may be available."

So.... what exactly are they supposed to do?
Quote:
But the Enroll America volunteers are simply telling people about the exchanges, not helping people use the exchange system, and they do not have be certified as navigators or certified application counselors, Barba Brown said.

Barba Brown said Enroll America does not ask volunteers about their day jobs and is not sure whether any are insurance brokers or insurance company employees.

"Anecdotally, we haven’t seen any special participation or lack thereof from the industry," Barba Brown said.
It is still not clear to me what they're actually supposed to do, other than tell people a phone number or website address, and to check it out after October 1.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio legislative panel on Monday cleared new state rules for professionals guiding people through the insurance marketplaces created by the federal health care law, despite concerns from some consumer groups that the regulations create confusion.

The rules stem from a new state law that governs who can be a so-called insurance navigator and what duties they can perform.

Under Ohio's law, individuals or businesses can't act as navigators unless they are certified by the state and receiving federal funding. But the rules grant leeway to food banks, certain health centers, hospitals and others.

The exemption in the rules could complicate efforts by religious organizations and community groups who already assist people with government programs, such as Medicaid, said Kathleen Gmeiner, project director for Ohio Consumers for Health Coverage.
Consumers can get private health insurance, subsidized by the government, through the online exchanges. Open enrollment starts Oct. 1 and coverage takes effect in January. Republican Gov. John Kasich opted to let the federal government run Ohio's exchange.

An official with the state's insurance department told the panel that as long as the entities weren't purporting to be navigators, they could continue to provide services under a safe harbor in the rules.

It's unclear how many navigators Ohio will have.

Gmeiner's group has estimated federal funding would support 60 to 70 navigators — fewer than one per county.

People can find a plan on their own, without using the services of a navigator. Though some might prefer to have someone walk them through the process.

An estimated 524,000 Ohioans are expected be enrolled in the insurance exchange designed for individuals by 2017, according to a report prepared for the state's insurance department by the consulting firm Milliman Inc.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHSPEC
College: Hard Knox U.

If HIOS is any indication, the launch of the Fed run exchanges is going to be rocky at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Excitement!

http://healthbenefitexchange.ny.gov/...nefit-exchange

Quote:
Join Us for a Special Announcement from the New York Health Benefit Exchange
You are here
Home News & Events
AUG 19, 2013
On Tuesday, August 20th at 11:00 am, please join the New York Health Benefit Exchange for a live special announcement that you won't want to miss.

View the event live here: http://new.livestream.com/NYHBE/SpecialAnnouncement (Note: If the page prompts you to update your browser, simply follow the instructions and make sure to return to this URL once the installation is complete.)

You can click the link today and add this event to your calendar by clicking "add to calendar", or you can simply receive an email reminder by clicking the green "follow" button on the upper right of your screen.

This event can accommodate an unlimited number of viewers so feel free to share this invitation with others. We hope you can join us!

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Excitement!

http://healthbenefitexchange.ny.gov/...nefit-exchange

Quote:
Join Us for a Special Announcement from the New York Health Benefit Exchange
You are here
Home News & Events
AUG 19, 2013
On Tuesday, August 20th at 11:00 am, please join the New York Health Benefit Exchange for a live special announcement that you won't want to miss.

View the event live here: http://new.livestream.com/NYHBE/SpecialAnnouncement (Note: If the page prompts you to update your browser, simply follow the instructions and make sure to return to this URL once the installation is complete.)

You can click the link today and add this event to your calendar by clicking "add to calendar", or you can simply receive an email reminder by clicking the green "follow" button on the upper right of your screen.

This event can accommodate an unlimited number of viewers so feel free to share this invitation with others. We hope you can join us!

Looking at the lone commenter on the event at livestream, I see she's pissed off at the method of the announcement, but I'm not sure why.

It's free. It doesn't involve being a reporter sitting in a particular room for a press conference.

LinkedIn Profile

Last edited by campbell; 08-19-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

The big announcement:
http://new.livestream.com/NYHBE/SpecialAnnouncement

20 plans on the health exchange.... that we already knew about in July (12 plans on dental)

Tax credit calculator!....and that's screwed up due to a redirect infinite loop. WOOOO

but the BIG NEWS!

New name & logo (which I can see right now on the website)

oooh, they paid DDB to do the campaign. WOOOOOO! BRAND DEVELOPMENT!

http://healthbenefitexchange.ny.gov/

oh yay a special video. I've had enough of my time wasted.

LinkedIn Profile