Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,803
Default I think we should go back to having joint exams

I have noticed from reading these forums and from Reddit, that a lot of students (college students and those applying for EL jobs) are having difficulty managing the disintegration of the joint exam system, and planning their long-term exam sitting schedules.

Students have either decided to stop sitting once they've passed all the mutually recognized exams, or they take an SOA- or CAS-sponsored exam, only to be hired by a company in a different field.

Not only does this increase travel time, but also leads to wasted study time. Furthermore, these students will be struggling to finish up exams at a point where they should be done, taking time away from conducting research, volunteering, honing work-related skills, or being productive at work. This will make actuaries less competitive in comparison to other professionals who will be producing, rather than studying.

When the exams were jointly administered, and frequently offered, many students were able to finish the prelims in less than 2 years, which I think was a step in the right direction. Now, a lot of the progress we've made towards reducing travel time will be undone.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:51 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,623
Default

Why is anyone going the CAS route at all, when SOA has all the specialties under one Big Tent?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 AM
JohnLocke's Avatar
JohnLocke JohnLocke is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I have noticed from reading these forums and from Reddit, that a lot of students (college students and those applying for EL jobs) are having difficulty managing the disintegration of the joint exam system, and planning their long-term exam sitting schedules.

Students have either decided to stop sitting once they've passed all the mutually recognized exams, or they take an SOA- or CAS-sponsored exam, only to be hired by a company in a different field.

Not only does this increase travel time, but also leads to wasted study time. Furthermore, these students will be struggling to finish up exams at a point where they should be done, taking time away from conducting research, volunteering, honing work-related skills, or being productive at work. This will make actuaries less competitive in comparison to other professionals who will be producing, rather than studying.

When the exams were jointly administered, and frequently offered, many students were able to finish the prelims in less than 2 years, which I think was a step in the right direction. Now, a lot of the progress we've made towards reducing travel time will be undone.
I agree, but on more even terms between CAS and SOA
__________________
i always post when i'm in a shitty mood. if i didn't do that, i'd so rarely post. --AO Fan

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Yamamay Yamamay is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 444
Default

How many joint exams are left?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamay View Post
How many joint exams are left?
0.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Yamamay Yamamay is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
0.
Really? Not even 1/P? I had no idea. I agree with OP then, those joint exams are important to give time to students to make a decision.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 AM
Arthur Itas's Avatar
Arthur Itas Arthur Itas is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,273
Default

I do think joint early exams were a good thing. I don't see it happening anytime soon though. Perhaps when the SOA abandons the GI track the 2 societies can make this happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamay View Post
Really? Not even 1/P? I had no idea. I agree with OP then, those joint exams are important to give time to students to make a decision.
CAS accepts P, FM, and MFE IFM for credit for early exam requirements, such that there is overlap in the exam paths, but they are no longer jointly offered.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
0.
Sorry, this was a far too ethno-centric response.

(Almost) all the exams are joint SOA/CIA or CAS/CIA.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
CAS accepts P, FM, and MFE IFM for credit for early exam requirements, such that there is overlap in the exam paths, but they are no longer jointly offered.
I always thought this a little amusing though. The CAS doesn't have a primary method for gaining credit for early exam requirements other than accepting P/FM/new MFE so seems a little silly to describe it as merely "accepting credit".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.24850 seconds with 11 queries