Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:29 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Default I think we should go back to having joint exams

I have noticed from reading these forums and from Reddit, that a lot of students (college students and those applying for EL jobs) are having difficulty managing the disintegration of the joint exam system, and planning their long-term exam sitting schedules.

Students have either decided to stop sitting once they've passed all the mutually recognized exams, or they take an SOA- or CAS-sponsored exam, only to be hired by a company in a different field.

Not only does this increase travel time, but also leads to wasted study time. Furthermore, these students will be struggling to finish up exams at a point where they should be done, taking time away from conducting research, volunteering, honing work-related skills, or being productive at work. This will make actuaries less competitive in comparison to other professionals who will be producing, rather than studying.

When the exams were jointly administered, and frequently offered, many students were able to finish the prelims in less than 2 years, which I think was a step in the right direction. Now, a lot of the progress we've made towards reducing travel time will be undone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:51 AM
CAS

Why is anyone going the CAS route at all, when SOA has all the specialties under one Big Tent?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I have noticed from reading these forums and from Reddit, that a lot of students (college students and those applying for EL jobs) are having difficulty managing the disintegration of the joint exam system, and planning their long-term exam sitting schedules.

Students have either decided to stop sitting once they've passed all the mutually recognized exams, or they take an SOA- or CAS-sponsored exam, only to be hired by a company in a different field.

Not only does this increase travel time, but also leads to wasted study time. Furthermore, these students will be struggling to finish up exams at a point where they should be done, taking time away from conducting research, volunteering, honing work-related skills, or being productive at work. This will make actuaries less competitive in comparison to other professionals who will be producing, rather than studying.

When the exams were jointly administered, and frequently offered, many students were able to finish the prelims in less than 2 years, which I think was a step in the right direction. Now, a lot of the progress we've made towards reducing travel time will be undone.
I agree, but on more even terms between CAS and SOA

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Non-Actuary

How many joint exams are left?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamay View Post
How many joint exams are left?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Really? Not even 1/P? I had no idea. I agree with OP then, those joint exams are important to give time to students to make a decision.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 AM
CAS

I do think joint early exams were a good thing. I don't see it happening anytime soon though. Perhaps when the SOA abandons the GI track the 2 societies can make this happen again.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamay View Post
Really? Not even 1/P? I had no idea. I agree with OP then, those joint exams are important to give time to students to make a decision.
CAS accepts P, FM, and MFE IFM for credit for early exam requirements, such that there is overlap in the exam paths, but they are no longer jointly offered.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Sorry, this was a far too ethno-centric response.

(Almost) all the exams are joint SOA/CIA or CAS/CIA.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
CAS

Quote:
CAS accepts P, FM, and MFE IFM for credit for early exam requirements, such that there is overlap in the exam paths, but they are no longer jointly offered.
I always thought this a little amusing though. The CAS doesn't have a primary method for gaining credit for early exam requirements other than accepting P/FM/new MFE so seems a little silly to describe it as merely "accepting credit".