Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 PM

Default Exam studying mixed into a camping road trip

Have any of you tried this using vacation days of course

What you do is rent an SUV, put the back flat down and use a battery-inflatable air bed, pillow, sleeping bag. Then you can drive anywhere you want, spontaneously go whichever highway you want, so long as 4 hours each day, you stop at a library and study for your exam.

then you can plan a road trip in any direction you feel like going. Sleep in vehicle at RV parks, use RV facility showers, sometimes you can sneak into rv parks free of charge since you aren't actually renting any tents...you're using your own SUV like a tent. So it all comes down to $30/day through rent-a-car and some gasoline, and rest stop foods to keep you going. I suppose you can use your own vehicle but if you putting on a lot of miles in a short time you may not want to.

Did this with one of my prelim exams. On the sitting I tried this though I got a 4 but could have been an unlucky test.

I got all the way out to the eastern tip of Nova Scotia Canada working my way all the way out from Connecticut....just by driving a little more East each day. But the mosquitoes in New Brunswick Bay of Fundy did mess with my understanding of some limited loss functions

Still it is a fun thing to try. Have any of you considered a study/road trip combo?

Last edited by UFActuary; 03-23-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Sounds like a really expensive and time consuming random walk experiment.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish

Studying on a spaceship right now
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids

And by on a spaceship I mean my spaceship bed
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids

And o didn't mean to type "studying"
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

this one time at FAP camp
Old 03-23-2015, 10:02 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
Have any of you tried this using vacation days of course

What you do is rent an SUV, put the back flat down and use a battery-inflatable air bed, pillow, sleeping bag. Then you can drive anywhere you want, spontaneously go whichever highway you want, so long as 4 hours each day, you stop at a library and study for your exam.

then you can plan a road trip in any direction you feel like going. Sleep in vehicle at RV parks, use RV facility showers, sometimes you can sneak into rv parks free of charge since you aren't actually renting any tents...you're using your own SUV like a tent. So it all comes down to $30/day through rent-a-car and some gasoline, and rest stop foods to keep you going. I suppose you can use your own vehicle but if you putting on a lot of miles in a short time you may not want to.

Did this with one of my prelim exams. On the sitting I tried this though I got a 4 but could have been an unlucky test.

I got all the way out to the eastern tip of Nova Scotia Canada working my way all the way out from Connecticut....just by driving a little more East each day. But the mosquitoes in New Brunswick Bay of Fundy did mess with my understanding of some limited loss functions

Still it is a fun thing to try. Have any of you considered a study/road trip combo?
UFActuary™

Feel free to PM me. I am happy to help.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 PM
CCA

I own two white cargo vans with on rear windows. I have slept in one of them. You can park a white cargo van almost anywhere and sleep in the back. (even down by the river)

Bathing: Most decent size cities have gyms that will let you buy a day pass. If you're a decent talker you can often get the day for free if you listen to their membership pitch. For other times a $15 camp shower will let you wash face and hair in a parking lot (you need to be quick with this as it does attract attention). Baby wipes let you clean your crotch in a public restroom.

Food: Grocery stores and grills in city parks. You can hit up a food pantry or a church for a few can goods if you're going really cheap. I got caught stealing two cans of beets and a box of macaroni from church donation box once. It took a lot of talking to keep them from calling the cops. I mean I was hungry isn't that what that food's for?

Money: Invest in a decent set of tools, a good lockable tool box and good locks on your van. Being handy it is surprising how many people will still hire you for $50 to $100 for just a few hours work. Avoid those day labor pickup spots, the locals control the pecking order and the only thing you'll get is a sore back and possibly robbed.

Time: You have tons of free time. All you need to study or do what you want to do.

Companionship: Thanks to the internet the "Free Candy" sign on the side of the van is a no go. A little prep work in a public library and you can usually find the local meat boards and some lonely heart that will even take in a person that lives in a van.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 PM

Or why not have Continuing Education Camp where the topics that cover CE for FSA or MAAA are presented over a microphone on a bus ride through Yellow Stone National Park. Then after the CE, an actuarial cookout.

Next day, a 10-mile hike and then picnic lunches on the summit...that evening, 2 hours of CE followed by a late night dip in some natural hot springs

Next day bus to Devil's Tower and more CE on the way to Big Horns

Then maybe complete with Mount Rushmore and a trip to Actuarial Bookstore Mobridge, SD where you meet some Sioux natives

Then get tons of CE requirements and a blast trip in one
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst D View Post
I own two white cargo vans with on rear windows. I have slept in one of them. You can park a white cargo van almost anywhere and sleep in the back. (even down by the river)

Bathing: Most decent size cities have gyms that will let you buy a day pass. If you're a decent talker you can often get the day for free if you listen to their membership pitch. For other times a $15 camp shower will let you wash face and hair in a parking lot (you need to be quick with this as it does attract attention). Baby wipes let you clean your crotch in a public restroom.

Food: Grocery stores and grills in city parks. You can hit up a food pantry or a church for a few can goods if you're going really cheap. I got caught stealing two cans of beets and a box of macaroni from church donation box once. It took a lot of talking to keep them from calling the cops. I mean I was hungry isn't that what that food's for?

Money: Invest in a decent set of tools, a good lockable tool box and good locks on your van. Being handy it is surprising how many people will still hire you for $50 to $100 for just a few hours work. Avoid those day labor pickup spots, the locals control the pecking order and the only thing you'll get is a sore back and possibly robbed.

Time: You have tons of free time. All you need to study or do what you want to do.

Companionship: Thanks to the internet the "Free Candy" sign on the side of the van is a no go. A little prep work in a public library and you can usually find the local meat boards and some lonely heart that will even take in a person that lives in a van.
I like all of this, but $15 for a camp shower? At the RV parks I found its a quarter if not free.
It's usually a room with 3 or 4 shower stalls. Not sure what other people do, but I usually walk in with one bag for dirty clothes, one bag for clean clothes, and your shampoo/soap/towel in a smaller bag inside the clean clothes bag. And car key. Enter with the dirty clothes on. Exit with the clean clothes on.