Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
CAS SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Favorite beer: Ba-rOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOce!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I didn't see that written explicitly in this press release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ACTUARIALS
To the contrary, the Academy thanks Mr. Schobel for his dedication and service as both a member of the Academy’s board and as it's president-elect.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegmatic View Post
I saw that. I can read it as they thank him for his past dedication and past service as president-elect.
Is it so difficult to write that "Bruce is currently the President-Elect and will be installed as President in October"?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
That might just mean that they're thanking him for his prior service as PE.

You know like when a new POTUS is elected and they thank the outgoing POTUS for their service to the country. It's kind of hollow and meaningless, but it's nice and conciliatory when they're switching political parties. A nice way for the new guy to sound like he's reaching across the aisle that doesn't cost him a thing politically.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
CAS SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I saw that. I can read it as they thank him for his past dedication and past service as president-elect.
Is it so difficult to write that "Bruce is currently the President-Elect and will be installed as President in October"?
It is if you just lost

Ba-rOOOOce
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
It is if you just lost

Ba-rOOOOce
You have a point. I'm still playing the doubting thomas role here until I see it actually in print, or, say, Mr Schobel shows up here and asks me to put my fingers and hands in holes.
(That's biblical, not sexual.)
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
SOA AAA

Perhaps I'm a bit impatient, but the same web site that posted the "resolution" still has the office of President-elect vacant. Maybe the only person who knows how to change that is gone for the day?

http://www.actuary.org/yearbook/board2.asp
As of 9/30 6:06PM PDT:

Executive Committee

• John Parks, President (2011)
  • vacant, President-Elect (2012)
  • Bill Bluhm, Immediate Past President (2010)
  • Andrea Sweeny, Secretary-Treasurer (2012)
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 PM
CCA

Favorite beer: yours.

I don't read this at all as Bruce being reinstated as Prexy Elect.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM
CAS SOA CCA AAA ASPPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight From My Id View Post
I don't read this at all as Bruce being reinstated as Prexy Elect.
so he got money?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
At least state that you fixed my post.

I see Bruce thinks it's best to cease litigation so that he and the Academy (separately, or together?) can to get back to the important work that must go on.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
so he got money?
Possibly. That is more likely not be disclosed than stating directly that Mr Schobel is now (and again) the president-elect.