Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!
Default PROXIES Sought

Please see the Open Letter to the Academy Board posted at:

http://BakosEnterprises.com/Academy

This points out irregularities with the plan for running elections at the Academy Annual meeting on October 26, 2009 in Boston.

In particular, the Academy Nominating Committee has nominated only three candidates as Regular Director - although there are four vacancies created by four expiring terms: Bell, Emma, Herget, & Steiner. The Open Letter speculates on why this may be.

At the Annual meeting Mary Pat Campbell intends to make and Carol Marler intends to second the nomination of (me) Tom Bakos for the fourth expiring term on the Academy Board. I hope many members present at the Academy Annual meeting will vote for me but you also (if you are an MAAA) still have an opportunity to vote by PROXY.

You may download the PROXY form at: http://www.BakosEnterprises.com/Academy, fill it out with your designated proxy and return it either to me by email (reply@BakosEnterprises.com) or the Mary Pat (marypat.campbell@gmail.com) or Carol (carolmarler@gmail.com) at email addresses shown.

Alternatively you may FAX the completed form to the fax number provided in the INSTRUCTIONS box on the form. I will make sure proxies intended for Mary Pat and Carol get forwarded to them.

__________________________________________________ ______________
We are also working on proposed amendments to the Academy Bylaws and will be asking for signatures ona petition to amend the Bylaws. I will provide more information on this by early next week (at the latest).

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010

Last edited by tbakos; 10-09-2009 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: spelling - corrected mispell of Marler
Old 10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

As Tom has noted, I'm soliciting proxies for the Academy meeting.

I confirm that I intend to nominate Tom Bakos for a Board seat from the floor [in case you were wondering what I'm going to do with these proxies].

I can accept proxies only via email, I'm afraid: marypat.campbell@gmail.com -- many fax machines and photocopiers do have an option to scan and send as emails.

Carol Marler and Tom will be accepting proxies by fax, if you can't email a proxy to me.

LinkedIn Profile

Last edited by campbell; 10-08-2009 at 07:30 PM..
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Studying for angry white maleitude
Favorite beer: purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
Please see the Open Letter to the Academy Board posted at:

http://BakosEnterprises.com/Academy

This points out irregularities with the plan for running elections at the Academy Annual meeting on October 26, 2009 in Boston.

In particular, the Academy Nominating Committee has nominated only three candidates as Regular Director - although there are four vacancies created by four expiring terms: Bell, Emma, Herget, & Steiner. The Open Letter speculates on why this may be.

At the Annual meeting Mary Pat Campbell intends to make and Carol Mahler intends to second the nomination of (me) Tom Bakos for the fourth expiring term on the Academy Board. I hope many members present at the Academy Annual meeting will vote for me but you also (if you are an MAAA) still have an opportunity to vote by PROXY.

You may download the PROXY form at: http://www.BakosEnterprises.com/Academy, fill it out with your designated proxy and return it either to me by email (reply@BakosEnterprises.com) or the Mary Pat or Carol at email addresses they will add to this thread.

Alternatively you may FAX the completed form to the fax number provided in the INSTRUCTIONS box on the form. I will make sure proxies intended for Mary Pat and Carol get forwarded to them.

__________________________________________________ ______________
We are also working on proposed amendments to the Academy Bylaws and will be asking for signatures ona petition to amend the Bylaws. I will provide more information on this by early next week (at the latest).
Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Studying for angry white maleitude
Favorite beer: purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
As Tom has noted, I'm soliciting proxies for the Academy meeting.

I confirm that I intend to nominate Tom Bakos for a Board seat from the floor [in case you were wondering what I'm going to do with these proxies].

I can accept proxies only via email, I'm afraid: marypat.campbell@gmail.com -- many fax machines and photocopiers do have an option to scan and send as emails.

Carol Marler and Tom will be accepting proxies by fax, if you can't email a proxy to me.
neat
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM

I really wish I could be there to see this going down.

Here's the question though. What's the response going to be? If indeed the current AAA execs don't want you on the board, and you're making it quite clear that you're 'forcing' yourself on, how is the board going to react?

Are they going to let you get elected without a fight? Tie you up in beauracracy? Let you get voted in then ignore you for the next year?

Also, I don't envy you if you do get in. That'll be some uncomfortable silences all around at the meetings .
Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdumb View Post
I really wish I could be there to see this going down.

Here's the question though. What's the response going to be? If indeed the current AAA execs don't want you on the board, and you're making it quite clear that you're 'forcing' yourself on, how is the board going to react?

Are they going to let you get elected without a fight? Tie you up in beauracracy? Let you get voted in then ignore you for the next year?

Also, I don't envy you if you do get in. That'll be some uncomfortable silences all around at the meetings .
I don't see it as forcing myself on anyone. If I get elected it will be becasue the members have elected me.

But, you are right - it will be interesting to see what "they" do. I intend to inform them of this in advance so they won't be surprised. I'm not sure a fight would be in their best interest. They may claim that there isn't a 4th Regular Board position but they would have to argue a Bylaws amendment they haven't yet informed the members of is in place.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
At the Annual meeting Mary Pat Campbell intends to make and Carol Mahler intends to second the nomination of (me) Tom Bakos for the fourth expiring term on the Academy Board.
Aside from Anti-FEM, can you explain what you want to accomplish on the board? or is this more of a force the hand of the current board by nominating for a position they don't want anyone appointed to, and presenting proxies, which have not been recognized by the board to date?

In other words, aside from the obvious FEM position, why should I send you my proxy (since I won't be there to vote)?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I don't see it as forcing myself on anyone. If I get elected it will be becasue the members have elected me.

But, you are right - it will be interesting to see what "they" do. I intend to inform them of this in advance so they won't be surprised. I'm not sure a fight would be in their best interest. They may claim that there isn't a 4th Regular Board position but they would have to argue a Bylaws amendment they haven't yet informed the members of is in place.
I guess my point was (actually, I'm not guessing, this is my point) is that I suggest you consider and prepare for something. What that is, I don't know. But you're response seems to indicate that you're going to throw some proxies out there and see what the reaction is, and respond at that time. I think you should have a tete-a-tete with some folks and have action plans ready to go based on your best guesses.

One example - you're saying that they may claim no 4th regular board position. Your current response seems to be wanting to argue bylaw amendments. Really, how's that going to play? MP Cambell and Carol are going to stand up and play bylaw lawyer off the cuff? No - be prepared with a response from douglan if they pull this.

Be prepared .
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Will Durant

Quote:
What are your intentions if "they" add a regular director to the nominated slate?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Durant View Post
What are your intentions if "they" add a regular director to the nominated slate?
Do you mean adding another nominee for a Board seat?

LinkedIn Profile