Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Yes
Default Fall out from the Interactive Leader session

There is a new discussion on the SOA LinkedIn group around the nominations committee and what was said at today's session. Here's to hoping it creates more visibility around the topic than "leadership" is comfortable with.

The group is a closed group so not everyone here will be able to access it, but hopefully reaches the exact people that need to be informed on this issue.

While I would never want to divert you away from our great AO, maybe you can spare a couple minutes just this once
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 PM
CAS

Please update us on this when you get a chance, since not everyone is able to view it. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
CAS

What was said at the Interactive Leader Session?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Yes

The most controversial (IMO) was that Brad and Tonya both defended the Nomination Committee's role to weed out the "unqualified". Both said they thought open elections were the best way to go but now that they are actually Board members (read: indoctrinated) they have both changed their minds.

Then of course there was the whole "we declared war on the CAS with our general insurance track because we are bigger and better than you guys" thing. But I don't have a vested interest in that at the moment.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Victor are you allowed to be discussing a "closed door meeting" online? I don't care but someone else might.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Victor are you allowed to be discussing a "closed door meeting" online? I don't care but someone else might.
I think you misunderstand a "closed group" online versus a "closed door meeting". Anyone who is expecting secrecy in an online group of thousands of people.... yeah. right.

That said, I have no issue with copying my own remark.

Quote:
Another oddity was the emphasis on the Nominating Committee being independent of the Board... which seems unlikely given that the entirety of the Nominating Committee was selected by the Board.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Here is what I think.

It was nice in a way to see Brad Smith and Tonya Manning addressing the issue at all. It was complementary in a way to be in control of the discussion. It was the first item in the Q&A and they seemed to be following my script precisely. Yes, quite a complement. That must be driving them crazy.

Aside from that what they said was prime BS (not Bruce Schobel - crap). It seemed they were, in fact, reading from a script written by Rich Veys.

Here is the gist: the Nominating Committee is weeding out the chaff by selecting candidates the 9 of them deem acceptable to the entire profession. It is as if they have never heard of democracy or read the SoA Bylaws.

The Nominating Committee has no authority to do that - as noble as they may feel it is. And, they have never done anything like it before, until I came along. You should know that the type of characters they are trying to weed out, as described by Brad Smith and Tonya Manning in the session, was a perfect description of me. The difference is I think it is good to have people with different, strong points of view and judge an ability to deal well with others as something other than striking a submissive pose. What, does Brad Smith think he is leader off the pack?

The NC has violated the Bylaws they have an obligation and a duty to uphold as a condition of their membership. I am going to pursue a complaint with the SoA and the ABCD regarding that because what they have done is determine that, despite the fact the Bylaws say all FSAs have a right to "hold office", I don't. They have, in close to a defamatory way, declared that I am unqualified contrary to the fact that the Bylaws set forth no "qualifications" for the office of President-Elect (other than having already served as a presidential officer).

We all know that those people have violated the Code of Professional Conduct.

I will offer all a chance to join in with me in demanding the ABCD investigate the conduct of the SoA Board and the Nominating Committee. I will keep you all informed on the status of this effort.

Right now I am recovering from a day well spent with a grandson who has no doubts at all relative to my qualifications.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I think you misunderstand a "closed group" online versus a "closed door meeting". Anyone who is expecting secrecy in an online group of thousands of people.... yeah. right.

That said, I have no issue with copying my own remark.
I did misunderstand. Carry on
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

While I am reading the LinkedIn groups, I'm not going to copy other people's comments there to paste here

that said, i'll paste a link to this thread in that discussion, should they be interested in this

i'm all about spreading info
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Bitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
The NC has violated the Bylaws they have an obligation and a duty to uphold as a condition of their membership. I am going to pursue a complaint with the SoA and the ABCD regarding that because what they have done is determine that, despite the fact the Bylaws say all FSAs have a right to "hold office", I don't. They have, in close to a defamatory way, declared that I am unqualified contrary to the fact that the Bylaws set forth no "qualifications" for the office of President-Elect (other than having already served as a presidential officer).
Why don't you pursue litigation at this point?