Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!
Default Write-In Campaign / SoA President-Elect

As I say on the website:

http://www.bakosenterprises.com/2012/

Quote:
Certainly, I would like you to vote for me. But, right now, I am fighting so that you will have the oppotunity to vote for whomever you want to vote for - even if it isn't me. If that is what you want too, then we are on the same side.

Don't be ignored! Write-In Tom Bakos for President-Elect

Your write-in ballot will, probably, not be counted. But that doesn't matter. Help me make the point that you have a right, provided to you by the SoA Bylaws, to vote for whomever you want. Click and email a write-in vote as a protest. Add to it whatever other message you think appropriate.
This is directed at FSAs and 5-year ASAs who have a right to vote in the SoA election. If you are offended by your inability to vote for whomever you want (even if it isn't me) in the SoA election then please consider this write-in as a protest of that incredible situation.

The link is live on the website linked to above.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Yes, I will be doing this when the official voting starts in August.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Life after exams

Can you provide a link or a listing of the other elements of your platform besides the Nominating Committee issue?

TIA

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan View Post
Can you provide a link or a listing of the other elements of your platform besides the Nominating Committee issue?

TIA
You can find the President-Elect Questionnaire I provided to the Nominating Committee which is posted here:

http://www.bakosenterprises.com/2012/TBPE.pdf

In addition, I would like to explore the following:

Note: I am not suggesting I would try to initiate any of this unilaterally or without significant, if appropriate, member input
  1. Open board meetings to members and encourage them to attend. That is not necessarily going to generate a lot of member attendance because Board meetings are held three to four times a year in locations across the U.S. and would be difficult and costly for many members to attend ... plus there may not be that much interest. But, meetings are held often in or near large metropolitan areas and there may be many local actuaries who might want to see what a board meeting looks like.
  2. Rather than have some task force or committee go off and examine a subject and then come back to the Board with a recommendation, for major or significant issues I would like to see the Board presented with alternative ideas or Pro/Co task force reports so that they will actually have to get involved in the decision making instead of taking the safe course of agreeing to a recommendation. Perhaps member groups may want to participate and be involved in the various studies and analyses.
  3. Consider bloging from the Board meetings so members can be aware and generate an interest in what is going on - maybe limit this to major or significant discussion because a lot of what goes on at a Board meeting could be boring.
  4. Consider separating the actuarial credential from a membership requirement and make the credential permanent once earned through an accreditation process subject only to compliance with the Code and CE requirements.
  5. The credential might also be a profession-wide unifying factor. For example a new credential, say PA for Professional Actuary, would be granted for all types of actuaries: life, pension, health, P&C, etc. A credentialing organization to grant the PA subject to uniform and stringent requirements would be created. The SoA and CAS, for example, would continue to exist as the education and research bodies they are today. But the FSA or FCAS would become only a membership status.
  6. The AAA and other actuarial organizations could continue to exist as membership organizations to provide service to their members. Perhaps, companies or other entities could also sponsor these organizations to help fund them.
  7. This would provide the opportunity to unify the actuarial profession under a new and permanent credential without all of the animosity created by merger and feared loss of autonomy.
  8. The CERA credential provides a model (maybe not a good model but a model nevertheless) for an overarching credential not tied to membership in any particular actuarial organization.
  9. The AAA could continue to exist as lobbying organization focusing on U.S. issues.
This would place credentialing and discipline in the hands of a new actuarial organization. Discipline would affect the credential - not membership status - so discipline would involve only one organization, the new one. Therefore, the discipline process would become much more efficient.

Anyway, time for dinner. I've got to go.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Will Durant

1 & 2 are great ideas. 4-7 might be an awesome design if building something from scratch, but I think the last thing we need now is a more complex actuarial designation structure.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Durant View Post
1 & 2 are great ideas. 4-7 might be an awesome design if building something from scratch, but I think the last thing we need now is a more complex actuarial designation structure.
Well, 4-7 is akin to several other professional orgs. You don't have to be a member to get their designation, and you can be a member prior to achieving designation (just think of PRMIA here)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Durant View Post
4-7 might be an awesome design if building something from scratch, but I think the last thing we need now is a more complex actuarial designation structure.
I think what Tom is proposing is something that would bring additional clarity, transparency and uniformity to the process which is something that seems to be desperately needed and craved...by both candidates and employers.

There is a whole discussion going on right now in another thread about what one can and can't discuss with who during FA and the direction from the E&E Committee is, at best, non-responsive/unclear and, at worst, completely self-contradictory: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=244311
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM
SOA AAA

My purpose is not to push any of my ideas on anyone but to start and stimulate a discussion (as has happened) and encourage other, perhaps, better ideas. Then adopt those that are reasonable, well accepted, and will improve the profession and its professional organizations.

I like the idea of being able to keep a credential I worked for permanently with the only condition on that compliance with the Code (which implies remaining qualified). My suggestion on something like a "PA" was intended as a way to unify the actuarial profession under a single credential. Obviously, outright merger was a non-starter. Maybe there is a better way or it is fine the way things are now.

It is only through a free and open exchange among our members (initiated and encouraged by leadership) that we can make the actuarial profession the best it can be and well respected in the industries in which we work.

It just makes no sense for current leadership to claim they welcome disparate views on the Board and, in general, and then not welcome them. It makes no sense to advocate for transparency from behind a cover of confidentiality.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

For #1: couldn't the board meetings simply be posted to the web site in their entirety, either live or recorded, either video+audio or audio?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
For #1: couldn't the board meetings simply be posted to the web site in their entirety, either live or recorded, either video+audio or audio?
Possible, I suppose but, probably. not practical. Board meetings extend over a two day period - approximately 12 hours, at least. There is an audio system and Board members are asked to use it and generally do but not always. The meeting room is large with 28 members sitting around a table and many invited guests and staff.

And, as I have said before, most of what goes on is not very interesting or needs immediate access - e.g., the Consent Agenda items - and would lose impact if not actually present to see all that might be going on.

Perhaps, a better and more detailed summary/minutes would be helpful that members could have access to. Or audio posted of important or significant discussion - e.g., GI Track, merger proposal (if not in Executive Session), FEM, etc.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA