Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
There's only one mole in the actuarial world.

Best eyes on the AO can see what's happening. Trust me. Not Ke$ha.
Lol, no one trusts you!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
And we don't have to be nice about it. Woo.
It's past someone's bed time.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
And the SOA isn't going to negotiate. The SOA isn't run by SOA members, it's run by the IAA, and they want an American Society of Actuaries that will be the local organization providing actuarial educational and credentialing services to only the United States of America, following of course the IAA syllabus to a tee.
But that couldn't be... the SOA's announced intentions is to be the preeminent actuarial education supplier, WORLDWIDE. At least that is what they say publicly. Are we to ignore that?
I suspect the IAA wants a single US body... for its convenience if nothing else. But the SOA has other ideas in mind...
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
CAS AAA

The CAS is a strong, vibrant organization, that likely will be able to withstand the bullying of the SOA. The SOA has lots of things going for it, but expertise in the GI track it does not have. It does not have the history, the background, the literature, the community, the continuing education to support a serious GI track. This is the case no matter how many books it can cause to be written (by CAS members, no less). The SOA is down a hard road...
I don't thin the SOA will talk to the CAS. I also don't think the CAS is begging. It is taking one last shot at restoring a pretty good set up for all stakeholders. If the SOA says no, then we all know that it will have demonstrated itself beyond the shadow of a doubt as self-centered, arrogant, and selfish. It would be the epitome of the worst manifestation of the human condition.
I have heard through the grapevine that the SOA board is not unanimous on this path of expanding into the GI area. But the wiser voices within it have been drowned out by Smith. Well, this is their chance to step up.
We shall soon see. Rumor has it that the SOA is going to attempt a hostile takeover by offering membership to CAS members in the SOA on very favorable terms. Should that happen, then it will be open warfare, to the detriment of all.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
But that couldn't be... the SOA's announced intentions is to be the preeminent actuarial education supplier, WORLDWIDE. At least that is what they say publicly. Are we to ignore that?
I suspect the IAA wants a single US body... for its convenience if nothing else. But the SOA has other ideas in mind...
1) The SOA is lying to you.
2) Read the CAS letter. The council of US presidents want to the SOA/CAS/AAA to combine as a local only organization.
3) Cecil Bykerk wants the SOA to become a local only organization.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
1) The SOA is lying to you.
2) Read the CAS letter. The council of US presidents want to the SOA/CAS/AAA to combine as a local only organization.
3) Cecil Bykerk wants the SOA to become a local only organization.
I must say, if you are right, then lying is the order of the day and one cannot do business with a liar, no matter how big and strong that liar is.

I don't think we have to speculate for too much longer. Next week the SOA board will meet and what action it takes will set the tone... either the SOA will agree to talk to try to find a way forward or will proceed apace with their plans irrespective of the damage it will do to the profession, worldwide. Remember their international aspirations run fully counter to the aspirations of the UK actuarial body, that is already well established internationally.

There will be great clarity. Actions speak MUCH louder than words.
And if the SOA chooses to stay the course, then life is going to be extremely interesting for them... as the actuarial bully, worldwide.

Last edited by Trigger; 03-11-2013 at 03:11 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I must say, if you are right, then lying is the order of the day and one cannot do business with a liar, no matter how big and strong that liar is.

I don't think we have to speculate for too much longer. Next week the SOA board will be and what action they take will set the tone... either the SOA will agree to talk to try to find a way forward or will proceed apace with their plans irrespective of the damage it will do to the profession, worldwide. Remember their international aspirations run fully counter to the aspirations of the UK actuarial body, that is already well established internationally.

There will be great clarity. Actions speak MUCH louder than words.
And if the SOA chooses to stay the course, then life is going to be extremely interesting for them... as the actuarial bully, worldwide.
Dude, you don't get it.

SOA has ZERO international aspirations. The only international activities the SOA American Society of Actuaries will be doing is mutual recognition.

I have an incredible amount of credibility on this forum when it comes to predicting future actuarial "organizational" events. Just accept it as fact, then read the FEM Timeline and get educated.

Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2013 at 12:43 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 AM
CAS AAA

College: Indiana University
Favorite beer: Becks

Quote:
Given the unilateral actions that Josephson has taken before, ie: meeting with the SOA presidents in Chicago without the CAS board's knowledge, I think my tin foil hat fits just fine.

Josephson doesn't need the support of the CAS board. He's got all the IAA clowns on his side.
It is a Board backed statement. I watched the board draft it and I wll attest that it is a statement of the CAS Board and not the action of an individual. It is past your bedtime Ke$ha.
I
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing

Quote:
I have an incredible amount of credibility on this forum when it comes to predicting future actuarial "organizational" events. Just accept it as fact, then read the FEM Timeline and get educated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor View Post
It is a Board backed statement. I watched the board draft it and I wll attest that it is a statement of the CAS Board and not the action of an individual. It is past your bedtime Ke$ha.
I
Hammered
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I am interested as to what the reply will be.

LinkedIn Profile

Tags
general insurance