Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I am interested as to what the reply will be.
Either nothing, or after manning meets with josephson, a memo on how the soa listened to the cas, but determined that the GI route best promotes its strategic aims.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaball View Post
Either nothing, or after manning meets with josephson, a memo on how the soa listened to the cas, but determined that the GI route best promotes its strategic aims.
That would be my expectation as well.

The SOA insiders have shown they don't feel the need to conciliate the CAS at all.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor View Post
It is a Board backed statement. I watched the board draft it and I wll attest that it is a statement of the CAS Board and not the action of an individual. It is past your bedtime Ke$ha.
I
Arlie,

Please outline SOA's intentions.

1) to be a local only American society of actuaries, where the primary "international" activity is mutual recognition
2) a global provider of education that is "competing" with other organizations in different countries

Thanks,
Ke$ha
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
Arlie,

1) to be a local only American society of actuaries, where the primary "international" activity is mutual recognition
2) a global provider of education that is "competing" with other organizations in different countries

Thanks,
Ke$ha
Your post does not make sense. Are you doing the outlining for Arlie? Or is this a multiple choice test and Arile is supposed to choose one (and, thus, not really "outlining" anything)?

It's probably the latter, as 2 clearly contradicts 1...
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM

How will the SOA know that the letter is legit? Does Gary Josephson have an SOA member number?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Arlie,

Thanks,
Ke$ha
Arlie,

I appreciate your statements about CAS Board actions you watched. I am curious as to why Ke$ha expects you have inside information about the SOA's intentions. Is Ke$ha's malfunctioning again?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor View Post
It is a Board backed statement. I watched the board draft it and I wll attest that it is a statement of the CAS Board and not the action of an individual.
Good for the CAS Board! Personally and professionally I've never regretted giving someone an honorable means of backing out of a dumb decision or course of action. And when FSA-GI fails, we can return to a collaborative relationship with SOA.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridiot View Post
Good for the CAS Board! Personally and professionally I've never regretted giving someone an honorable means of backing out of a dumb decision or course of action. And when FSA-GI fails, we can return to a collaborative relationship with SOA.
That would be very nice.

I don't think the CAS Board should count on SOA failure (though it is a distinct possibility).

For all that Ke$ha sounds like a rabid dog re: the IAA, it is pretty clear that those in SOA leadership, and those allowed to get there, are shooting for there being one and only one actuarial org in the U.S. They have stated it explicitly. This is not a secret.

Many SOA members actually like this idea. Do not assume that this move is necessarily looked unfavorably at by the SOA membership. I may not like it, but I do not mistake my own preferences for majority opinion.

I'm just saying that hoping the SOA fails in this endeavor is not much of a strategic plan.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Studying for my SAG card
Favorite beer: whatever other folks are buying

Quote:
SOA has ZERO international aspirations.

Ke$ha is like France guarding the Maginot Line while millions of Germans are pouring through Belgium.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Many SOA members actually like this idea. Do not assume that this move is necessarily looked unfavorably at by the SOA membership. I may not like it, but I do not mistake my own preferences for majority opinion.
Many SOA members don't care at all, since nothing that happens in the general insurance sphere affects them in any way.

Tags
general insurance