Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I guess I don't post or read enough to know the inside jokes of the SOA. Guilty.

Really, an "SOA number"?
The thread where we talk about this is here:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=247710

Enjoy. Or not.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

I love me some Ke$ha bashing. but there are some things he has been (directionally) correct on, and the mistrust of the SOA and its intentions/aspirations seem to be one of those things.

could these points be made without the donning of tin foil by the roll, the questioning of motives of anyone who might not agree quickly or completely enough, or the gratuitous reference to waterloo in every kerfuffle? yes, yes they could. but not by Ke$ha.

he'll let others handle it politely.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
I love me some Ke$ha bashing. but there are some things he has been (directionally) correct on, and the mistrust of the SOA and its intentions/aspirations seem to be one of those things.
I agree. Ironically, CAS mistrust of SOA was even stronger when I got my ASA in 1971! This mistrust continued for decades. One SOA President actually suggested a merger years ago. I never believed that SOA would actually pull something like this,but I really doubt that it will result in making P/C actuarial work better.

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Merger proposals have come up repeatedly, evidently with the forgetfulness as to why the CAS broke off from from the ASA (one of the precursor societies to the SOA)

I happen to have Moorhead's actuarial history book sitting in front of me, and I see something that may be of interest to CAS members. Evidently, CAS was to originally be CASSA: the Casualty Actuarial and Statistical Society of America, open to both statisticians and actuaries.

There's some interesting stuff in that book. Perhaps it would be useful for ideas for the future (I'm not joking here.)

Just as I had absolutely no objections to FEM that had not been made before I was born, I see that many of the issues that are coming up now between the various actuarial societies have been gone through multiple times.

Obviously, there are things that are now different, but it would be better if we were to make new mistakes as opposed to making the same mistakes as in the past. It's kind of difficult to learn from one's past if one keeps ignoring it.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Merger proposals have come up repeatedly, evidently with the forgetfulness as to why the CAS broke off from from the ASA (one of the precursor societies to the SOA)

I happen to have Moorhead's actuarial history book sitting in front of me, and I see something that may be of interest to CAS members. Evidently, CAS was to originally be CASSA: the Casualty Actuarial and Statistical Society of America, open to both statisticians and actuaries.

There's some interesting stuff in that book. Perhaps it would be useful for ideas for the future (I'm not joking here.)

Just as I had absolutely no objections to FEM that had not been made before I was born, I see that many of the issues that are coming up now between the various actuarial societies have been gone through multiple times.

Obviously, there are things that are now different, but it would be better if we were to make new mistakes as opposed to making the same mistakes as in the past. It's kind of difficult to learn from one's past if one keeps ignoring it.

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
guys.

it's bad enough that the SOA is attempting to take over the CAS. do we need to hijack a CAS thread on SOA concerns?

let us be magnanimous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile View Post
OK, I must agree.
You are correct. I was just trying to explain the joke. But yes, don't want the thread to be derailed.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
SOA

Quote:

as well
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 AM
CAS

has Ke$ha ever been wrong on this kind of stuff
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 AM
CAS

also, the letter is dumb. I don't see why the CAS even bothers. Grow a backbone or GTFO imo
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby, ByeBye View Post
has Ke$ha ever been wrong on this kind of stuff
Almost all of Kesha's posts fit one of three patterns:
Something did happen due to (character assassination, conspiracy theory or both)
Something will happen due to (character assassination, conspiracy theory or both)
or just plain and simple (character assassination, conspiracy theory or both)

When he says something factually verifiable did happen, he usually has not just made it up, but that does not make the causality or the (character assassination, conspiracy theory or both) right. When he predicted something factually verifiable will happen, he's sometimes been right, but that does not make the causality or the (character assassination, conspiracy theory or both) right.

At times he has been demonstrably wrong, such as in this very thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
Gary Josephson works for Milliman. No one. I REPEAT. No one could have seen this coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
Given the unilateral actions that Josephson has taken before, ie: meeting with the SOA presidents in Chicago without the CAS board's knowledge, I think my tin foil hat fits just fine.

Josephson doesn't need the support of the CAS board. He's got all the IAA clowns on his side.
Arlie Proctor has said clearly that sending the letter was not unilateral action by Josephson. No one wiill get very far attacking Arlie's credibility.

Tags
general insurance