Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Kade View Post
Annoying is not grounds for ABCD complaints. If it were, my boss would have been stripped of his letters years ago.
I agree, I didn't find it "deceiving" in any way nor did I think it merited disciplinary action. Just annoying to get e-mails on my personal AND work e-mail as a P&C guy.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

I picture board meetings with the five U.S. actuarial organizations as a nerdy version of the Cosa Nostra Commission.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM
CAS

didn't the AAA just violate the confidentiality agreement of the ABCD? I thought complaints were supposed to remain confidential?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:28 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMAK View Post
didn't the AAA just violate the confidentiality agreement of the ABCD? I thought complaints were supposed to remain confidential?
My reading of the above is that the complaints were held confidential since September, but became public when Mr. Freedman filed his lawsuit.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM
SOA CCA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMAK View Post
I think confidentiality went out the window when he filed a lawsuit.
If I weren't out here every day battling the white man, I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity—because you can hardly mention anything I'm not curious about. — Malcolm X

Old 12-31-2014, 12:36 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
The claim that "SOA membership provides – ease of movement from one area of practice to another without replacing credentials" is debatable, but not a "material misrepresentation" as the complaint puts it.
Te qualification standards are pretty clear, you can't just jump from one area of practice to another. Saying that by choosing the SOA you can easily move from one practice area to another is a misrepresentation of the qualification standards in my opinion.

http://www.actuary.org/files/qualifi..._standards.pdf
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

ABCD Rules of Procedure, Section X, includes:
Quote:
The ABCD will make a reasonable effort to keep confidential the
facts and circumstances involved in any matter considered by the ABCD for possible counseling or recommendations for discipline or the services of a mediator.…The ABCD will not have violated its responsibilities if the circumstances surrounding a matter are such that the identity of the parties or incident involved can be deduced by any persons.

My read is that by filing the lawsuit, Freedman made the "circumstances surrounding a matter" such that "the identity of the parties or incident involved can be deduced."

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman
Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
I agree, I didn't find it "deceiving" in any way nor did I think it merited disciplinary action. Just annoying to get e-mails on my personal AND work e-mail as a P&C guy.
It's not just that he sent the emails. It's also the manner in which they were obtained - against every common ethics used to market stuff. The only people that do what the SOA did are known as 'spammers'. Do you think an SO president should be implementing commonly used spamming techniques in order to sell his agenda to others?

I'd say that this is exactly what the ABCD is supposed to do - look at something that maybe isn't written down as being 'wrong', but clearly is wrong.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Te qualification standards are pretty clear, you can't just jump from one area of practice to another. Saying that by choosing the SOA you can easily move from one practice area to another is a misrepresentation of the qualification standards in my opinion.

http://www.actuary.org/files/qualifi..._standards.pdf
If someone has the appropriate experience and knowledge there is no need to take another set of exams. I think that is the point that was being made. Calling that claim misrepresentation seems a stretch.

If one wanted to switch from CAS work to SOA work, or vise versa, then the exams would need to be done.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTFROMTHEPAST View Post
It's not just that he sent the emails. It's also the manner in which they were obtained - against every common ethics used to market stuff. The only people that do what the SOA did are known as 'spammers'. Do you think an SO president should be implementing commonly used spamming techniques in order to sell his agenda to others?

I'd say that this is exactly what the ABCD is supposed to do - look at something that maybe isn't written down as being 'wrong', but clearly is wrong.
The SoA sends out these "unethical" mass emails about once a week at most. Probably less imo