Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraffixMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky5 View Post
God once whisphered in my ear, "If it wasn't natural, it wouldn't happen. It's your job to understand the logic behind it."

Can someone please explain this.
Contrapositive must also be true....If it happened, it must be natural. So anything that has ever happened, did so b/c it was a natural progression of some sort?
So what is the striking revelation? All that is being said is all things are natural. Wow, who cares, isn't that obvious anyway.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Studying for shts&ggles
Favorite beer: Ginger Beer

Quote:
Quote:

Contrapositive must also be true....If it happened, it must be natural. So anything that has ever happened, did so b/c it was a natural progression of some sort?
So what is the striking revelation? All that is being said is all things are natural. Wow, who cares, isn't that obvious anyway.
Alot of things appear to be obvious, but in reality the obvious answer isnt always the correct one. You above statement seems very obvious, but is actually false. There isnt always a logical explanation to nature also.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's just saying, all things are natural because they happen, so its possible to figure them out.
Is this just another way to say deism?
This may or may not be true. It's impossible to tell. There are many things in nature that still havent been figured out. You cant tell if things can be figured out until they are figured out.
Maybe, "figure them out" was the wrong phrase to use. I'm trying to think of a way to describe in words the concept being discussed here.

If it's naturall then "what"

Here are some potential substitutions for "what" in the above statement.

1. It's not supernatural
2. It can be understood
3. It's with in our power to reproduce it
4. ?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Alot of things appear to be obvious, but in reality the obvious answer isnt always the correct one. You above statement seems very obvious, but is actually false. There isnt always a logical explanation to nature also.
There wasn't always a logical explanantion as to how gravity impacted our day to day lives prior to Newton, but that didn't mean there wasn't a mechanical reason for it. Mankind just simply didn't understand it at the time, but a logical explanation did exist or else it wouldn't be natural. However, we have already established that it is natural simply due to the fact that it happened.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
Quote:

Not obvious to those that think I'm unnatural. I am, but not in the manner in which their homophobia leads them to believe.

Think of it like a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie but ignored the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third movie doesn't count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fanfiction that doesn't fit with ANY of the series canon."

-RandomFerret
Old 12-07-2006, 05:53 PM

Studying for shts&ggles

Quote:
Quote:

There wasn't always a logical explanantion as to how gravity impacted our day to day lives prior to Newton, but that didn't mean there wasn't a mechanical reason for it. Mankind just simply didn't understand it at the time, but a logical explanation did exist or else it wouldn't be natural. However, we have already established that it is natural simply due to the fact that it happened.
lol so the rule book on what defines "natural" is continuously being updated as "anything that has ever occured up until right now". i dont want to argue this point, but i dont see how this applies to the topic at hand??
Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Quote:

Not obvious to those that think I'm unnatural. I am, but not in the manner in which their homophobia leads them to believe.
Sorry bud you cant be unnatural. We have already established that if it happened then it's natural and you are happening.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

lol so the rule book on what defines "natural" is continuously being updated as "anything that has ever occured up until right now". i dont want to argue this point, but i dont see how this applies to the topic at hand??
I'm not trying to argue with you. Can you elaborate on this idea of "natural being continuously updated". How has what I said made you reply this way. I'm not saying it is or isn't it depends on how you define it.

If you define natural as what we understand then I suppose the items being considered as natural is forever increasing.

Don't forget the original implication established concerning natural. If it can happen then it is natural. Our universe was obeying the laws of classical mechanics that Newton established way before he established them, did this pivotal point in human history somehow change the definition of natural?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM

Studying for shts&ggles

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not trying to argue with you. Can you elaborate on this idea of "natural being continuously updated". How has what I said made you reply this way. I'm not saying it is or isn't it depends on how you define it.

If you define natural as what we understand then I suppose the items being considered as natural is forever increasing.

Don't forget the original implication established concerning natural. If it can happen then it is natural. Our universe was obeying the laws of classical mechanics that Newton established way before he established them, did this pivotal point in human history somehow change the definition of natural?

I'm out of here about this post, but okay this is what i meant.........if you were to make a list (a very long one) of every single thing/event/person/abstract/etc that is "natural".....this list will become larger everytime something unique occurs (the first time something happens).....example: earthquakes are a natural event. How was anyone to know they were natural until the first one occured? I also want to know how this applies to FSA vs CFA?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Quote:

I'm out of here about this post, but okay this is what i meant.........if you were to make a list (a very long one) of every single thing/event/person/abstract/etc that is "natural".....this list will become larger everytime something unique occurs (the first time something happens).....example: earthquakes are a natural event. How was anyone to know they were natural until the first one occured? I also want to know how this applies to FSA vs CFA?
Um, earthquakes have likely been occurring before any "one" could start noticing them. However, until a thought process was created to believe that they were natural and somewhat random (relative to location), other thought process likely were employed to prevent their recurrence.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.