Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Not sure if this is a good/bad thing. While they can be annoying, they are able to tackle complex problems. The people that work for them get to see these complex problems and how to deal with them, which is valuable experience.

Im just bitter because I was late to the game and have to deal with the fact that people much younger than me are going to make it further in their careers.
I think it depends on the company culture, and whether you'll be rewarded for faster growth and higher expectations. I think companies where high expectations/high reward are the norm, it would be good.

However, some companies are massive bureaucracies where there may be a ton of mediocre managers and you just happened to be stuck under the one high pressure boss who doesn't inflate the annual performance reviews, while all the other managers are giving glowing reviews to their reports. Then when it comes time to allocate raise/bonus money, all the execs see are performance numbers on a spreadsheet so you end up getting 2% whereas people on other teams who didn't have to try so hard get 5%.

It's good to get experience and all, but at some point you should expect to be compensated for it.

Imo there are fewer problems with this in consulting, as higher pressure or more talented bosses are also the ones that generate more revenue so you may want to seek them out. But in insurance, where one's value to the firm is harder to demonstrate in dollar figures, it can be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.