Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-24-2018, 09:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
I'll watch the Cup, but not sure yet whether I will try to go. On a weeknight the drive to the stadium will be brutal, and timing is not good to take that afternoon off.
Why is it being played in Kennesaw?
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Why is it being played in Kennesaw?
They did that last year too. It's a venue that has minimal existing midweek commitments.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:07 PM
SOA

College: University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying J View Post
In other news, who else is excited about the US Open Cup?

I was really excited about the tournament showcasing the exciting new rivalry of LAFC vs LAG. But I was disappointed to see that the tournament directors didn't draw them together. So I guess I'll go outside and enjoy the weather instead of caring about the USOC?
Provided they both win, they would play each other in the next round right? That's what I assumed, given they have 4 team regions set up.

I know it's a random draw by region, but I'm actually for them splitting a part these potential rivalry games. Most of these teams already play each other 3 times a season in MLS play. Why add a fourth in the very first round of USOC? Most of the time these teams put out a reserve team in that round anyway.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 PM
CAS

Any KC folks roasting out there today at the game?
Old 05-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Yeah, my seats are directly in the sun this time of year as well. That was toasty.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

I'm confused what happened with VAR in the SKC game. I could see the red card to Higuan going either way. But then a Crew player just runs up and slaps Sinovic, and it doesn't even get a second look? There was a stoppage of play there, so I have a hard time believing that they just didn't see it.

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 05-29-2018, 09:43 AM
SOA

College: University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInTexas View Post
I'm confused what happened with VAR in the SKC game. I could see the red card to Higuan going either way. But then a Crew player just runs up and slaps Sinovic, and it doesn't even get a second look? There was a stoppage of play there, so I have a hard time believing that they just didn't see it.
I read something that the referee told Sinovic that they didn't have video of the play to review. That seems unlikely though, given that FS1 was able to air a replay of it while he was down on the ground.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:05 AM
SOA AAA

So Cincinnati is joining in 2019, followed by Nashville in 2020? And Miami is a maybe for 2020, or are they for certain now?

Hopefully the Crew are saved as Cincy/Cbus could be a fun rivalry.
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 PM
CAS

During the last ATL @ ORL match, Orlando fans upset with a non-call on a dive threw lots of trash on the field. Orlando came down with a temporary ban hammer on a number of their supporters seen throwing stuff on tape (39 I think). They got some considerable local backlash.

Today ORL came out with a statement that 5 ATL fans also threw things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsc
On May 15, Orlando City SC shared video footage and images with Atlanta United FC of five of its fans throwing objects during the match. Atlanta United failed to respond with the names of the offenders or ask for an extension within the appropriate window of time.
As a result, OCSC has revoked supporters group privileges for ATL away fans at the next 3 matches.

My initial reaction was meh. If ATL fans threw things I agree with a ban for them in an away stadium. It was a bit strange though that ORL implied that ATL was not cooperating though.

Now ATL has issued a statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD
We disagree with the unsubstantiated and premature position that the Orlando City SC organization has taken regarding our visiting fans and have asked for an extension to further investigate alleged supporter involvement. We feel this action is inconsistent with League policy and practice and as such we will be calling for League review.

We continue to assist Orlando City SC with their follow-up on incidents of Atlanta United fan misconduct and believe in accountability for these behaviors, as well as for the misconduct displayed by OCSC fans at the conclusion of the May 13 match.
Now I'm in mode.

Additional tidbit: ORL is serving a ban of away fans at ATL for a while. Last year some ORL fans were arrested for felony vandalism for destroying bleachers in ATL.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 PM
SOA AAA

As a relative newby when it comes to MLS fandom, I am still trying to figure out this USOC thing.

I get the structure and why MLS teams don't always bring their A squads. And I just learned today that for USOC matches each team only gets 5 international spots compared to the ~8 for MLS games.

How does the draw work? I get that it is regional based, but does the draw determine home/away?

My personal take: for a team in the bottom of the table, I would field my A lineups for the USOC games, thinking that making a run in the USOC would at least make it exciting for your fans when you are destined to not make the playoffs. Thinking about the Loons, I believe it would have made way more sense to NOT throw out the A lineup against SKC this past Sunday (where the chances of getting a point were pretty slim), and rested a few regulars to be ready for the game tonight (at USOC darlings from last year FC Cincy).
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone