Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

take the challenge! not a runner, but depends on your age and what other activity you do. if you play soccer a lot you have a chance.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
SOA

Someone in good shape with some stamina should be able do it. A bunch of people will go out in a sprint and then basically crawl in with a 70+ second 400.

I don't know what percentile a 63 second 400 meter dash is, but you're also comparing that to a bunch of out-of-shape people. If you just double the distance at that pace to a 2:06 800, I would guess the % of people who can do that are well less than 1%. And the 10,000 record is an extra 23 laps at that pace.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

63 second 400 is my out of shape pace, but I have years of track and cross country experience. As Mr. F notes, anything beyond a pure sprint tests pacing just as much as actual physical ability. Not to mention, speed endurance is a part of fitness that very few train at all.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
That sounds like a challenge. How hard is a 63 second 400m I wonder. I am not a runner, but I think that I could accomplish this.
I do not think you can.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
63 second 400 is my out of shape pace, but I have years of track and cross country experience. As Mr. F notes, anything beyond a pure sprint tests pacing just as much as actual physical ability. Not to mention, speed endurance is a part of fitness that very few train at all.
I bet you couldn't do a 2:06 800M.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
fyi, the 10000m record of 2617 is mindbogglingly fast. 63.1 seconds per 400m lap...for 25 laps. (i know, all records are. but most folk can't run that pace for maybe even 50m.)
Quote:
That sounds like a challenge. How hard is a 63 second 400m I wonder. I am not a runner, but I think that I could accomplish this.
In HS, I could turn 800m with splits of 63-63 [though it usually ran like 61-65]. NWIH could I turn a 3rd quarter in 63 after that. It's like going 3 miles in X-C: sure, in theory it's 12 quarter-mile runs at 75 seconds each. When we ran intervals on a 2:30 clock, I could crank out 75s all year long - but stringing 12 of those together without a break is a completely different story.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 PM

soph yr in college i challenged the guys in the dorm. they wanted to run a 4x400 against me. i said no, you have to run 4x600. these guys were 18/19yo, and had either run previously or played soccer. i figured they could gut out something int eh low-60's, but to keep it another 200 wasn't happening and so my planned pace of 67 per lap would win out.

never came to be...but I was ready.

i am not sure many, even the fit folks here, could run sub-63. but some could for sure if they cared to. 206 otoh is not happening from more than 1-2 folks here.

Team donation page here.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Favorite beer: Free beer

Quote:
Makes me think about the guy around here who was talking about hitting an 80 mph fastball, or something like that.

I encourage you to try it and report back here with your time and general fitness level. The 400m is a fun challenge and very tough to figure out the pacing. I believe it takes a fairly high level of fitness combined with great pacing to approach the 60 second mark.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 AM

Sixty seconds is a good 8th grade boys time.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy The Clown View Post
Sixty seconds is a good 8th grade boys time.
true. but I am slower as a runner now than I was as a 5th grader. sad but true.

Team donation page here.