Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US (old Part 7U)
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:15 PM
CAS

Default Compared to Exam 5 with Taub

Yes he is.

The product of exam 5 vs 6 isn't comparable.

Reasons:
Lesson development, layout, notes, VOLume, video cutoffs, ancillary material, and feeling you get that he is just reading the material back to you without providing any real additional value.

He may be a great guy, but in review of the Product of exam 6 it is embarrassing.

The amount of video's that have weirdly long run times that cut off mid section to pick back up into another video that is 1/5th as long with no real rhyme or reason is maddening.

Recording quality reminds me of what you got free with your Gateway computer in the 90's.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
he is just reading the material back to you without providing any real additional value.
It's Exam 6. What is there to add when so much of the material doesn't require a lot of thinking?

My litmus test is that if I can pass the exam using solely one's product, then it does the job.

Even for Exam 8 I didn't think Josh's material sufficed.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:23 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
College: Touro College

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post

Reasons:
Lesson development, layout, notes, VOLume, video cutoffs, ancillary material, and feeling you get that he is just reading the material back to you without providing any real additional value.
I agree that the volume changes and video cutoffs are annoying, but I don't understand how you can say that he is just reading back the material. There are plenty of times when he explains things in more detail than what is written in the outline. I also like how he stresses which things are important and to what extent.

My only issue is that he talks way to slow, but 1.5x playback speed solves that.

I felt like Josh was just reading off the screen for exam 5, but I didn't watch that many exam 5 videos, so maybe I got the wrong impression.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:58 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
Favorite beer: Angry Orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusk90 View Post
I agree that the volume changes and video cutoffs are annoying, but I don't understand how you can say that he is just reading back the material. There are plenty of times when he explains things in more detail than what is written in the outline. I also like how he stresses which things are important and to what extent.

My only issue is that he talks way to slow, but 1.5x playback speed solves that.

I felt like Josh was just reading off the screen for exam 5, but I didn't watch that many exam 5 videos, so maybe I got the wrong impression.

I cannot agree more. Can he improve the video quality? Yes. But that's not what I care. As long as he covers the knowledge which potentially appears in the exam.

And I watched all the videos of exam 5. Yes, Josh was reading off the screen for 90%+ time. Just another way to review the materials. But I passed the exam on the 1st attempt purely using his study manual, nothing to complain.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:14 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeSense View Post

I cannot agree more. Can he improve the video quality? Yes. But that's not what I care. As long as he covers the knowledge which potentially appears in the exam.

And I watched all the videos of exam 5. Yes, Josh was reading off the screen for 90%+ time. Just another way to review the materials. But I passed the exam on the 1st attempt purely using his study manual, nothing to complain.
How is he TIA manual?

Old 09-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
How is he TIA manual?
Good. I used just the TIA manual and his 1 page summaries and passed on first shot. He covered everything imo.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Good. I used just the TIA manual and his 1 page summaries and passed on first shot. He covered everything imo.
You might just be a genius.

BTW, for those taking Exam 6 - US, are we still tested on Canadian regulations/laws?
I'm not preparing for exam 6 right now but wondered about this while studying for OC2.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

i should be in this thread and am still salty about it.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
Favorite beer: Angry Orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
How is he TIA manual?
Josh's exam 5 manual? I think it's a good one, well organized, enough for exam.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:02 AM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)
Favorite beer: Root

Yeah, the TIA video is a lot of reading. But, where there are calculations, he walks through performing the calcs. Remember, the TIA manual is not the source. It is a SUMMARY of the source, so reading the manual and highlighting important points and pointing out how they might be tested is the goal. Alternatively, you could just lecture and you could take notes yourself on everything he says.

One of the best ways to improve the quality of a product is to have competition in the market. There has only recently been any. Furthermore, this is the last exam before ACAS, so everyone has passed multiple other exams. If the company they used for prep also makes prep material for this exam, it's naturally going to be the first place they turn. So, TIA, having produced prep material for the other exams, will have an advantage there. They have already won the loyalty of a lot of candidates. Only one close to being as widely used is Dr. AW and he doesn't make any CAS stuff. So, if you want to be the first choice for Exam 6, you have to win the candidate loyalty on 1-5 (or whatever they call them now.)
Online Course 2
COP