Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Blue Moon (prefer single malt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
I believe he's just saying you aggregate the tail factor over multiple years. so for example if your paid/incurred ultimates are like this:
1999: 10,000/11,000
2000: 10,000/12,000
2001: 10,000/10,000
you don't apply an adjustment of 1.1 to 1999, 1.2 to 2000 and 1.0 to 2001, you combine them together and adjust all years by 1.1.
Thought he meant that. We do that where I am. Wasn't sure though that it addressed the OP's original concern. True, it won't result in an exact match for the ultimates but overall you are definitely using the incurred to get the paid. (Not that that's so bad but seems redundant.)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthebag View Post
Thought he meant that. We do that where I am. Wasn't sure though that it addressed the OP's original concern. True, it won't result in an exact match for the ultimates but overall you are definitely using the incurred to get the paid. (Not that that's so bad but seems redundant.)
The bolded has me confused . . .

Granted that using paid data to estimate ultimates might give you a different answer than using incurred data . . . but unless you're doing some sort of reserve adequacy analysis, I'm not sure what the bolded statement means.

Once an AY is fully mature, incurred = paid.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthebag View Post
Keep in mind the tail matching is being done on a set of older years. You're using the incurred to get the paid beyond a certain point -in my experience it's at least 10 years out, and often 15, 20 or more. It's saying that the incurred losses on old years tell us a lot about what we can expect overall paid losses to be beyond a certain point. But you're then using the actual paid development up to that point.

If you like, you can think of it as using paid development to estimate paid losses up to say 15 or 20 years out, and the incurred development and incurred/paid ratios to estimate paid development beyond that point. What often happens in my work is what I call the big/small problem for paid development. For old years, either you have some big claims still open with large case reserves (in which case late paid development will be large) or only small claims with little in case reserve (in which case late paid development will be small). The paid development method then ends up being terrible for projecting any individual old year (it's either way too high or way too low, unless you allow yourself to use different tails for different years which I can't say I've ever seen anyone do). But you can use that info to get a reasonable average tail factor, which is useful for projecting ultimate losses for more recent years (since for those, you have no way of knowing which will end up having late large open claims or now).
Old 04-30-2018, 12:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
The bolded has me confused . . .

Granted that using paid data to estimate ultimates might give you a different answer than using incurred data . . . but unless you're doing some sort of reserve adequacy analysis, I'm not sure what the bolded statement means.

Once an AY is fully mature, incurred = paid.
I assume the AY isn't fully mature, or why do anything?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:32 PM
CAS

If I am working with data where I am confident the incurred at the end of my triangle is very close to "true ultimate", for example, if I'm looking at claim counts for personal auto, then I generally will match the paid to the incurred. If I'm looking at data where that's not the case, say, $loss for products liability, I generally like to pick each tail independently and see if the data tells me anything.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:25 PM
CAS

goal seek?

jk