Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-06-2019, 02:30 PM
SOA

Default Medicare For All

Since the bill is out and I haven't seen a serious discussion thread, I want to start a discussion about it and gather people's thoughts on it and the future iterations of it.

Obviously the final version of the program, if anything, were to be implemented, it won't look close to the version we have today. However, the recent talks and this bill makes me wondering if we are on the brink of some landscape changes in the health insurance market.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
SOA AAA

I think nothing happens until the Democrats control Executive and both Legislative Bodies. Since Medicare already exists, no reason to get the courts involved.

It will be extremely expensive, and someone would have to pay for it. Guessing rich people would pay more than their "fair" share by using some progressive tax scheme (first $20K of ALL income exempt, for example).
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 PM
SOA

I will believe we're on the brink of serious change when there's a serious conversation about how to pay for the expanded coverage and reductions in premiums and cost-sharing.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:42 AM
SOA

College: Alumni

The commercial population subsidizes the government programs to a significant degree, which will be exacerbated as the population ages.

if an attempt was made to apply the Medicare cost structure across the board (not sure how it could be even close to affordable otherwise), there would likely be serious push-back from the provider community which would make the prospects of it happening pretty unlikely.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Actuary View Post
The commercial population subsidizes the government programs to a significant degree, which will be exacerbated as the population ages.

if an attempt was made to apply the Medicare cost structure across the board (not sure how it could be even close to affordable otherwise), there would likely be serious push-back from the provider community which would make the prospects of it happening pretty unlikely.
Yeah the cost will be unsubstainable. People don't really understand that. Not only that, but Medicare itself is not very efficient and the care management is not that great.

There's a reason MA plans can deliver better benefits and still pay overhead/CEO.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:40 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Whisky

It's a great idea... IFF there is a massive overhaul of funding, benefits, provider payment methodology, drug costs, medical management efforts, and a whole pile of other things. I'm 100% for it... but without some serious revisions of the entire provider side of things as well as management policy form CMS, it's not sustainable, or even short-term feasible from a cost perspective.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM
SOA

College: Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
It's a great idea... IFF there is a massive overhaul of funding, benefits, provider payment methodology, drug costs, medical management efforts, and a whole pile of other things. I'm 100% for it... but without some serious revisions of the entire provider side of things as well as management policy form CMS, it's not sustainable, or even short-term feasible from a cost perspective.
Either way, some type of overhaul needs to happen on the cost side, and there is plenty of blame to go around.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
The one proposal I saw has a 100% AV. No induced utilization costs there.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentialpi View Post
The one proposal I saw has a 100% AV. No induced utilization costs there.
No massive provider shortage either...
Old 03-11-2019, 01:52 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Yeah the cost will be unsubstainable. People don't really understand that.
I think people are starting to understand this. My impression is that lots of people are in favor of it until they hear details, at which point they don't like it as much.