Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:10 PM
CAS

Studying for FM
College: 1st Year Undergraduate
Favorite beer: Darker the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Hey, one of those beers is mine, right?

I'm just a little skeptical, that's all. However, I do want to learn more about this.

(I just don't want to have to buy a book.)
One of the beers is yours and you're welcome to borrow my book when I'm finished. If you have an amazon account I can loan the kindle version to you. PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM
SOA AAA

Sweet! I have a Kindle, too! And an amazon account!
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:29 PM
CAS

Studying for FM
College: 1st Year Undergraduate
Favorite beer: Darker the better

Quote:
Sweet! I have a Kindle, too! And an amazon account!
PMd you
Old 08-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
No room in house for more books.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

That's why I've been destroying my paperbacks, I mean, recycling them page-by-page.

More room for new paperbacks.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
That's why I've been destroying my paperbacks, I mean, recycling them page-by-page.

More room for new paperbacks.
cheap actuary TP substitute?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Any update on your review for the rest of the book?

I'd be interested to hear comments from anyone else who has read it as well
Not yet. I've been really busy the past 3 weeks. I intend on posting a fairly detailed review here soon, then tackle the remaining work.

Things have slowed down quite a bit, so I anticipate being able to tackle this on Thursday.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Wondering how a super-genius can help the ordinary with exam preparation.
I'd rather hear from a guy who struggled yet found the way to get through.
I drank Guinness and watched a lot of TV, then would think 'oh shit, I should really study'. I don't know that I'd recommend this approach for everyone.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Arrow Detailed Chapter 3 Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Nearly done with Chapter 3 . . . initial assessment is generally positive and I agree with many of the things said.

Critiques of the material are centered around some of the details presented for some of the material.

Greatest area of improvement is basically enhanced examples.

I'll post a bit more details later (hopefully later this weekend).
Wanted to add a few more details to this general response. Note that I've presented more constructive feedback than positive feedback for the benefit of the authors and their publisher. (And on that note, I intend on giving them an even more detailed feedback and discussion, but that will like come in November after I sit for my Exam this fall.)

Positives:
  • I do like the overall framework presented. I cannot speak to what all is generally presented in the recent/current SOA Exam syllabi, but a lot of the general ideas are mentioned in the general materials of the CAS syllabi (just not on any Exam specific portions of the syllabi). I do like that the first step mentioned is to read the syllabus closely.

• I think the authors did a very good job in addressing how to "Understand Relationships" in their overall study strategy.

Negatives: A few things that I think need to be addressed.
  • It ignores making any mention of potential benefits of study guides. I've seen some study guides (e.g., material by Howard Mahler) offer alternate descriptions/explanations for key concepts along with expanded information to help the reader better place the material on the current Exam in the overall body of needed actuarial knowledge. It mentions talking to "those who have passed", but I believe that a better resource would be those who are considerably further along in the credentialing process as they would have a better sense of how the material on earlier Exams fit in overall.

• While I agree that the active reader "needs to ask better questions" while working through material the first time, but the book lacks clear guidance on what this might be. It simply stops after addressing the Who/What/Where/When/Why/How type questions. The CAS has recently utilized the theory found in Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Domains (note that this is one area that I am very well versed from my prior training). This in addressing this fundamental concept of their overall process, Jennings & Ju would do well to present and describe Bloom's Taxonomy in both some detail and in illustration and then show how it could be applied to learning from Exam materials.

• I like the suggestion of "creating analogies" as a means of processing the information, but the cringe factor gets pretty high unless one actually looks to vet their "created analogy" with other people for accuracy. This is actually a good point that you can use "those who have gone before" as well as a study group to test the analogies, refine & improve it, and allow many a better vehicle to recall related material. This is extremely important with the "higher" levels of Bloom's Taxonomy and being successful on CAS's upper level Exams.

• I find their denouncement* of some of the more traditional means of studying to be overkill. One example is highlighting text. While I agree that highlighting by itself is an ineffective means of studying, but it can be used as a means to actually attend to some of their other points of the studying process. (FTR, I'm working from my highlighted materials of their book to write out this critique.)

*This is probably too strong of a word. Jennings & Ju don't go so far as to call highlighting "evil," but I get the sense that they strongly discourage that sort of activity as a means to effective studying. There are ways to use highlighting effectively if you implement a good system. I do not believe that the authors intended to discourage the use of some more traditional learning mechanisms, and perhaps I've read too much into it, but I think this suggestion can be better presented and discuss how it could be used more effectively.

• While the cover makes a claim that the material can help you pass FCAS Exams, nearly all material relates to SOA Exams and materials. I would suggest that the authors look at the CAS syllabus for their Exams and look to incorporate examples from there as well.

I'll conclude this critique of Chapter 3 by suggesting the authors/publisher develop a graphic that might help illustrate the flow of the process (or perhaps a couple). This can help a reader "see" what the process, in its entirety, might look like and better attend to the specific components and their interrelated details.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 PM
CAS

Studying for data science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Wanted to add a few more details to this general response. Note that I've presented more constructive feedback than positive feedback for the benefit of the authors and their publisher. (And on that note, I intend on giving them an even more detailed feedback and discussion, but that will like come in November after I sit for my Exam this fall.)

Positives:
  • I do like the overall framework presented. I cannot speak to what all is generally presented in the recent/current SOA Exam syllabi, but a lot of the general ideas are mentioned in the general materials of the CAS syllabi (just not on any Exam specific portions of the syllabi). I do like that the first step mentioned is to read the syllabus closely.

• I think the authors did a very good job in addressing how to "Understand Relationships" in their overall study strategy.

Negatives: A few things that I think need to be addressed.
  • It ignores making any mention of potential benefits of study guides. I've seen some study guides (e.g., material by Howard Mahler) offer alternate descriptions/explanations for key concepts along with expanded information to help the reader better place the material on the current Exam in the overall body of needed actuarial knowledge. It mentions talking to "those who have passed", but I believe that a better resource would be those who are considerably further along in the credentialing process as they would have a better sense of how the material on earlier Exams fit in overall.

• While I agree that the active reader "needs to ask better questions" while working through material the first time, but the book lacks clear guidance on what this might be. It simply stops after addressing the Who/What/Where/When/Why/How type questions. The CAS has recently utilized the theory found in Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Domains (note that this is one area that I am very well versed from my prior training). This in addressing this fundamental concept of their overall process, Jennings & Ju would do well to present and describe Bloom's Taxonomy in both some detail and in illustration and then show how it could be applied to learning from Exam materials.

• I like the suggestion of "creating analogies" as a means of processing the information, but the cringe factor gets pretty high unless one actually looks to vet their "created analogy" with other people for accuracy. This is actually a good point that you can use "those who have gone before" as well as a study group to test the analogies, refine & improve it, and allow many a better vehicle to recall related material. This is extremely important with the "higher" levels of Bloom's Taxonomy and being successful on CAS's upper level Exams.

• I find their denouncement* of some of the more traditional means of studying to be overkill. One example is highlighting text. While I agree that highlighting by itself is an ineffective means of studying, but it can be used as a means to actually attend to some of their other points of the studying process. (FTR, I'm working from my highlighted materials of their book to write out this critique.)

*This is probably too strong of a word. Jennings & Ju don't go so far as to call highlighting "evil," but I get the sense that they strongly discourage that sort of activity as a means to effective studying. There are ways to use highlighting effectively if you implement a good system. I do not believe that the authors intended to discourage the use of some more traditional learning mechanisms, and perhaps I've read too much into it, but I think this suggestion can be better presented and discuss how it could be used more effectively.

• While the cover makes a claim that the material can help you pass FCAS Exams, nearly all material relates to SOA Exams and materials. I would suggest that the authors look at the CAS syllabus for their Exams and look to incorporate examples from there as well.

I'll conclude this critique of Chapter 3 by suggesting the authors/publisher develop a graphic that might help illustrate the flow of the process (or perhaps a couple). This can help a reader "see" what the process, in its entirety, might look like and better attend to the specific components and their interrelated details.
Finally something Roy Ju related. I keep checking back for news and all I see is non-related posts.

Tags
$4.99 shipping+handling, :iat:iatp::, as seen on tv!, credibility, shameless plug, uniquely qualified