Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 02-01-2020, 09:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocustStreetBlues View Post
I'm starting to feel like giving myself 3 and a half months still won't be enough. It's so tough to come back from the holidays and start grinding. I'm about halfway through the manual and I feel like I'm working at a good pace, but I am really going to need to work on my speed if I ever plan to have a chance at passing. I always work through every question at the end of the CA sections, and I usually do okay without relying on my formula sheet too much, but I'm still super slow.
I think you're on track. It's taken me about 140 hours to reach section 12 in CA, but that's been pretty unfocused so you can definitely move faster. To be honest, you can probably complete the manual by the end of February. My experience has been that almost everything after Markov Chains is just a twist on material you were exposed to in earlier sections.

The pension math section has been my least favorite though. I just find the problems to be pretty onerous - lots of steps and opportunity for error. At least I've seen Nelson Alen and Kaplan Meier before, when I utterly failed the last sitting of C
Old 02-02-2020, 08:50 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: UCSB Alum
Favorite beer: I don't drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukkev08 View Post
My company, also a huge national wide employer of student actuaries, also had only two passed LTAM in Fall 2019 sitting including myself.
Congratulations!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: UCSB Alum
Favorite beer: I don't drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocustStreetBlues View Post
I'm starting to feel like giving myself 3 and a half months still won't be enough. It's so tough to come back from the holidays and start grinding. I'm about halfway through the manual and I feel like I'm working at a good pace, but I am really going to need to work on my speed if I ever plan to have a chance at passing. I always work through every question at the end of the CA sections, and I usually do okay without relying on my formula sheet too much, but I'm still super slow.
I can only speak for myself, but I have zero regrets about trying my hardest when I felt like I didn't have enough time. I had to confront a lot of insecurity and mental blocks that don't come up when I have ample time, and that alone felt really beneficial. So without knowing you I say give it your all, really push yourself and don't be the one to decide it can't be done.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:11 PM
SOA

Onto the last section (mortality improvement)! Very excited to stop ingesting new material and to start focusing on problems next week
Old 02-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

In for this sitting.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:43 PM
CAS SOA

College: Individual ACA Pricing Actuarial Analyst

How much time would you guys thing is sufficient for doing practice problems? I'm about 40% through the material on The Infinite Actuary, and am anticipating having about one month to do practice problems before the exam. Is that sufficient?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungAct View Post
How much time would you guys thing is sufficient for doing practice problems? I'm about 40% through the material on The Infinite Actuary, and am anticipating having about one month to do practice problems before the exam. Is that sufficient?
Some topics lend themselves better to written answer questions than others, if you are using TIA I would look at the MC and WA map to see what those are. If you focus on those topics I would assume you would be okay, written answer seems to trip people up most.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungAct View Post
Yes if you have enough time each day to devote to working problems. Don't just work MC problems. Most students don't pass this exam because of the WA problems. The TIA course has lots of WA questions for practice (all with video solutions):

26 SOA sample WA questions
19 SOA sample WA questions from MLC that still apply to LTAM
31 TIA WA questions
48 WA questions from the 8 sample exams

That is a total of 124 WA questions to work. Make sure you do every single one of them and write out everything just like you have to do on exam day.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.