Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM

Default How is the career path on cera?

I would like to know the job opportunities on cera. basially I will need to pass one more exam, Advanced Finance/ERM (AFE) Exam, and one e-learning module plus one seminar.

I would like to know if it is worth working on cera regarding the time and money input and the future career path.

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Actuarial Outpost Administrator
Contact me: Send me a PM
or email me
tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com
CAS SOA COPA

Location: Sitting in front of a red button w/ your name on it
College: FSU ActSci Alumni
Favorite beer: Root

It's a growing field, and the CERA credential is good stepping stone to eventually becoming a CRO.

I know of a handful of available positions that specifically mention this credential, and I expect that number to grow as the designation gets more exposure.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Do those jobs from the graphs you posted specifically mention CERA? Your text suggests so, but it's not obvious to me from the graphs. Thanks in advance Tom.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm curious about a few things with respect to CERA positions...

1. Is the pay comparable to an actuarial position for similar exams/experience?

2. How does one break into an ERM-type role? Most CERAs have gained experience in Life/Heath/Pensions either in a valuation or pricing role. Does certain experience (i.e. Annuity Pricing) open more doors to the ERM roles?

3. Are these locations as geographically dispersed as actuarial positions, or do they gravitate more toward major financial centers like NYC and Chicago?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

cera has existed as a credential for a few years. there is not yet an established market for cera holders on the pure merit of that credential alone. so the pay is...comparable to what the actuary would be otherwise paid. perhaps more slightly for the extra credential.

one breaks in by being persistent and applying for the work, credential or not.

i would guess that the major finl centers have more work, and as erm stuff spreads throughout the rest of the world the jobs will follow.

my 2 cents
Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Angry Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
It's a growing field, and the CERA credential is good stepping stone to eventually becoming a CRO.

I know of a handful of available positions that specifically mention this credential, and I expect that number to grow as the designation gets more exposure.

Actually you gave me a good hints though. I search on indeed.com website and could not find many positions are requiring cera designation.

A little bit disappointed. Don't if I should go for this designation.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
From what I've heard... CERA is NOT very recognized by employers.

FRM, CFA and even that PRM thingy is.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Chess Tactics
College: Kentucky
Favorite beer: Prefer Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentnel View Post
From what I've heard... CERA is NOT very recognized by employers.

FRM, CFA and even that PRM thingy is.
But CFA requires 3 years financial work experience. Traditional actuarial roles don't qualify. FRM is okay, but only offered a few times a year and on a specific date (like an actuarial exam). PRM is offered on demand any day of the year and has the same recognition as FRM, plus I believe it's cheaper. Get a PRM.

I wouldn't bother with the CERA unless it requires very little extra work. For example, I'm considering CERA because I'll already have to take AFE for my FSA track and I'm already an ASA, so it would just require doing the CERA module.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Actuarial Outpost Administrator
Contact me: Send me a PM
or email me
tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com
CAS SOA COPA

Location: Sitting in front of a red button w/ your name on it
College: FSU ActSci Alumni
Favorite beer: Root

I used those keywords in the graph to show the best data available for risk analyst jobs. A graph on CERA alone would include a lot of false positives, while a graph on Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst would be flat due to the 3 year old designation.

More and more industries are begining to search out risk analysts, however they aren't as savvy to the CERA designation, yet. I expect that to change in the years to come as the economy turns around, the SOA gets the word out, and companies start to search for the best credentialed individuals to manage risk.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talmage View Post
But CFA requires 3 years financial work experience. Traditional actuarial roles don't qualify. FRM is okay, but only offered a few times a year and on a specific date (like an actuarial exam). PRM is offered on demand any day of the year and has the same recognition as FRM, plus I believe it's cheaper. Get a PRM.

I wouldn't bother with the CERA unless it requires very little extra work. For example, I'm considering CERA because I'll already have to take AFE for my FSA track and I'm already an ASA, so it would just require doing the CERA module.
FYI, the module that you are referring to is now mandatory for the FSA track. So if you go for your CERA via the ERM track to FSA, you will not have to do anything else. This is what I am doing, and should be on the next CERA list.

Tags
cera