Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 (new) - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
What if a friend sits outside your door barking morse code answers at you?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-12-2018, 01:01 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorteReform View Post
That makes me want to cry. It's such BS. And the PSI confirmation email went to my spam filter so by the time I registered there were no Friday appointments available.

Economics Finance Statistics CAS 1 CAS 2
Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM
SOA

College: 3rd Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I had assumed the "no background noise" rule was more in the line of music or television playing in the background, or your mother-in-law having a loud conversation with your half-deaf uncle. It's hard to imagine they can take issue with the sounds of traffic outside the building, but what do I know? Maybe that would be a good FAQ question.
Logically you would think that would be the case. But logic doesn't always prevail with CAS. In my limited experience..
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorteReform View Post
There will surely be horror stories of people losing connection and getting booted from the exam. It will be really awful for those people. However, the more I think about it, the more it seems like there will be a record pass rate this sitting. An extra hour and no need to do tedious calculations by hand? All but the least well prepared candidates should finish early with plenty of time to check over their answers.

And don't forget about the people who will hear about it from their coworkers who took it the day before.
x 1000.

For sure this is going to happen. Absolutely no doubt the pass rate is going to surge like crazy. This particular exam sitting will be the easiest it's been since blooms began (and arguably even easier from the prior versions). Completely unfair to those who have passed this exam in the last few years when enough time was just not provided despite it being raised an issue.

And then, after this one sitting the CAS will think "This was a major success!!! Look at how many people passed. Clearly we need to make the exams even harder!!!"
And then this will proceed to screw the people over in the fall (and probably for all exams, not just Exam 5 with this TBE nonsense).

I sadly agree that those taking it on the second day will almost guaranteed pass due to the cheating that will go on, despite the CAS claim that it's covered.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongestRoad View Post
Iím not even taking 5 and anytime I hear anything about this whole TBE debacle my blood reaches a boiling point. Their communication and foresight of potential issues has been a complete disaster, yet they keep lying through their teeth acting as if there havenít been any problems at all and weíre the ones who are just being big babies about it

Unbelievably ridiculous at how they are responding to this. They really just don't care about the current candidates who actually have to go through this. I know so many people, (not just at my company but several others from other firms) and I haven't found a single person who's actually happy about this change, with the vast majority being strongly opposed to it. There has been SO much opposition yet they pretend everything is perfect, the reviews are super positive, and it's always the candidate's fault if anything goes wrong. It really isn't fair.

Just another way to justify making the exams harder, and failing more candidates and protecting their precious credential. I'm not saying that's their aim with this new format, but that will undoubtedly be a convenient side effect.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
I would love to do this at Prometric. No compatibility concerns, option of multiple bathroom breaks, standardized exam locations. Sigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post
Less likelihood that someone will cheat.

But, on the downside, no snacks. Not even the quiet ones.

Also all multiple choice, and no access to anything like Excel. And the same risk that candidates will learn what is on the test from a friend who took it yesterday.

I see zero upside to Prometric over pen and paper, all on one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post

Unbelievably ridiculous at how they are responding to this. They really just don't care about the current candidates who actually have to go through this. I know so many people, (not just at my company but several others from other firms) and I haven't found a single person who's actually happy about this change, with the vast majority being strongly opposed to it. There has been SO much opposition yet they pretend everything is perfect, the reviews are super positive, and it's always the candidate's fault if anything goes wrong. It really isn't fair.

Just another way to justify making the exams harder, and failing more candidates and protecting their precious credential. I'm not saying that's their aim with this new format, but that will undoubtedly be a convenient side effect.
I'm surprised no one is optimistic, even in the long run. People have been asking, begging, the CAS to offer exams in Excel for years.

I'm already FCAS, but the one guy in my department who is sitting for this is cautiously optimistic.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:44 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
People have been asking, begging, the CAS to offer exams in Excel for years.
orly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 AM
CAS

Sure, you can find threads about it on the ao.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:55 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Also all multiple choice, and no access to anything like Excel. And the same risk that candidates will learn what is on the test from a friend who took it yesterday.

I see zero upside to Prometric over pen and paper, all on one day.

I'm surprised no one is optimistic, even in the long run. People have been asking, begging, the CAS to offer exams in Excel for years.

I'm already FCAS, but the one guy in my department who is sitting for this is cautiously optimistic.
I'm happy about exam moving to being software based. I'm not happy about CAS's implementation. But, you gotta have some casualties for the sake of progress I suppose.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Closed Thread