Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 (new) - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 04-10-2018, 04:48 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)
Favorite beer: Root
Default Sample Environment

Anyone take the PE in the exam environment yet? I was wondering about lag. I was doing something via VPN on my laptop the other day, and I noticed some lag. Since this seems very much like we will be using a VPN connection to their exam environment, I was wondering if the same issue might persist then.
Online Course 2
COP
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

I haven't, but suspect it will be laggy, which will drive me insane. My younger self's SC:BW rage will come back in full swing.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:22 PM
CAS

4pool rush
Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 PM
CAS

Kids these days will never know the 4pool.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 PM
CAS

I did the full practice sitting yesterday morning and have a few observations.

Unlike the real exam it did not let me enter the environment earlier than the start time I scheduled. There was no messaging or input of any kind once you log into your portal, it just is giving you a count down of when your exam will expire (it is running before it let me get into my exam).

The "Start Exam" icon didn't appear until right at my scheduled time.

When I selected "start exam" it gave me a blank screen but was counting down my 5 hours for a good minute and a half before I tried refreshing the page to no avail, which I then hit the back key which prompted the site to give me an error message of:
"The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy. Please try again in a few minutes. Other users should still be able to log on."

After another few minutes and a refresh it let me in (All of this was counted against my 5 hours).

If that happens on exam day I'll be furious.

I'm planning on taking the real exam on the same laptop I used for this.

The header in the virtual window of Excel combined with the Chrome window gave me about 55% of usable window to actually see and work on the problems. Hiding the toolbars in excel gave some additional room.

A big monitor would probably help, I just didn't prepare for an external webcam or docking station where I was able to reserve my testing room.

I might pay another $40 (thanks for that) and try resizing my whole resolution on my laptop to see if i can get the window bigger again. Too bad I need to log off every time doing this so it would cost $40 a pop to try and get it right through trial and error.

In terms of excel usability:
-Limited formatting of cells - you can make some lines but no "all lines" boxes for setting up tables and triangles etc
-The Tab key in my environment did not work right, it took me to the cell below where I was instead of across. Sometimes depending on the question I was on or where I was on the sheet it would work OK. Overall this was extremely annoying as using the Tab key is a hard habit to break
-You can't insert lines
-Copy/paste ctrl functions were fine

Overall the resolution of the environment was poor and the feel of using it was not great for me.

Not sure if anyone else had the same experience I did but it didn't leave me with a good feeling.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 AM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post

Overall the resolution of the environment was poor and the feel of using it was not great for me.

Not sure if anyone else had the same experience I did but it didn't leave me with a good feeling.
Sounds awkward as heck.
Online Course 2
COP
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post

Unlike the real exam it did not let me enter the environment earlier than the start time I scheduled. There was no messaging or input of any kind once you log into your portal, it just is giving you a count down of when your exam will expire (it is running before it let me get into my exam).

The "Start Exam" icon didn't appear until right at my scheduled time.

When I selected "start exam" it gave me a blank screen but was counting down my 5 hours for a good minute and a half before I tried refreshing the page to no avail, which I then hit the back key which prompted the site to give me an error message of:
"The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy. Please try again in a few minutes. Other users should still be able to log on."

After another few minutes and a refresh it let me in (All of this was counted against my 5 hours).

If that happens on exam day I'll be furious.

I'm planning on taking the real exam on the same laptop I used for this.

The header in the virtual window of Excel combined with the Chrome window gave me about 55% of usable window to actually see and work on the problems. Hiding the toolbars in excel gave some additional room.

A big monitor would probably help, I just didn't prepare for an external webcam or docking station where I was able to reserve my testing room.

I might pay another $40 (thanks for that) and try resizing my whole resolution on my laptop to see if i can get the window bigger again. Too bad I need to log off every time doing this so it would cost $40 a pop to try and get it right through trial and error.

In terms of excel usability:
-Limited formatting of cells - you can make some lines but no "all lines" boxes for setting up tables and triangles etc
-The Tab key in my environment did not work right, it took me to the cell below where I was instead of across. Sometimes depending on the question I was on or where I was on the sheet it would work OK. Overall this was extremely annoying as using the Tab key is a hard habit to break
-You can't insert lines
-Copy/paste ctrl functions were fine

Did it show your webcam and microphone working?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM
CAS

It gave me no indication of my webcam or microphone. I'm guessing that is only with the chat window with the proctor that wasn't included?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM
CAS

Yeah imma need 'tab' to work.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:45 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
College: UC Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
Yeah imma need 'tab' to work.
I ran into this with the excel practice exam. About half the time tab would work but the other half it would go to the next row as if I pressed enter. Frustrating, but after a while I learned to just use the arrow keys.