Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 (new) - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
CAS

There will surely be horror stories of people losing connection and getting booted from the exam. It will be really awful for those people. However, the more I think about it, the more it seems like there will be a record pass rate this sitting. An extra hour and no need to do tedious calculations by hand? All but the least well prepared candidates should finish early with plenty of time to check over their answers.

And don't forget about the people who will hear about it from their coworkers who took it the day before.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorteReform View Post
There will surely be horror stories of people losing connection and getting booted from the exam. It will be really awful for those people. However, the more I think about it, the more it seems like there will be a record pass rate this sitting. An extra hour and no need to do tedious calculations by hand? All but the least well prepared candidates should finish early with plenty of time to check over their answers.

And don't forget about the people who will hear about it from their coworkers who took it the day before.
Extra 45 minutes(no reading period) less time waiting in line for a proctor to check back in from your lone restroom break.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Extra 45 minutes(no reading period) less time waiting in line for a proctor to check back in from your lone restroom break.
This feels like an Exam S question to figure out the most optimal time to use the bathroom.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
This feels like an Exam S question to figure out the most optimal time to use the bathroom.
runs test, imo
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
runs test, imo
Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeem View Post
It's a noisy city haha. My home in downtown is definitely not quiet with noise from trains, trucks backing up etc. all day long. I unfortunately don't have access to a quiet room at work either. I've been avoiding the option of renting a room in a hotel but it might come down to that.

Having said that, I don't mind writing at home with all the background noise as its where I've been practicing and actually prefer this to a hotel. My concern is, will this be ok since the guidelines state no background noise.
I had assumed the "no background noise" rule was more in the line of music or television playing in the background, or your mother-in-law having a loud conversation with your half-deaf uncle. It's hard to imagine they can take issue with the sounds of traffic outside the building, but what do I know? Maybe that would be a good FAQ question.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM
CAS

Studying for OC2
College: Bryant Unversity

Dare I say that the CAS will have some "common sense" in regards to background noise? They can't really request that people board their dogs too for the test time.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaverian88 View Post
Dare I say that the CAS will have some "common sense" in regards to background noise? They can't really request that people board their dogs too for the test time.
What if a friend sits outside your door barking morse code answers at you?

Economics Finance Statistics CAS 1 CAS 2
Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorteReform View Post

I hope they look at the average grade per day, just so they see Friday's takers did remarkably better than Thursday.

Economics Finance Statistics CAS 1 CAS 2
Old 04-12-2018, 11:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
I hope they look at the average grade per day, just so they see Friday's takers did remarkably better than Thursday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS
The Friday examiners performed significantly better, likely due to the extra study day.
Closed Thread