Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstudies View Post
I agree. My book club folks also opined that it seemed like he included diversity for the sake of diversity. The writing was also extremely repetitive. As I see it, the author benefited a LOT from crowdsourcing on his first novel. He is not nearly as good on his own.
Hmm. The diversity didn't bother me. His moon is full of entrepreneurs living in crappy conditions, some with engineering degrees. That calls for high diversity imo, at least for labor. Maybe not for capital.

Yes, repetitive!

And interesting I didn't know the Martian was crowdsourced... I could see Wier working better as a coauthor than an author. OTOH, imagine trying to collaborate with someone so interested in nerdy details!!

My wife and I had a running joke that went "You might be thinking..." because he always has to explain to us that things are built somewhat differently than you might expect a moon colony to be built for various science reasons... which we found funny because no actually we are not thinking super hard about random logistical moon details.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 03-27-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstudies View Post
Halfway through The Return of the King. The deed is done. How can there be 7.5 hours left?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I think there are 200 pages of appendices. I recall skipping that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
I read Lord of the Rings relatively recently. (2 years ago) As I recall, the ending went on forever about where everybody went, what they ended up doing with their lives, who married who, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
in addition to what the others have mentioned, there is actually at least one interesting plot thread to go through before the end (although others' mileage may vary.)
The bulk of it is "the scouring of the Shire" - i.e., what the hobbits find when they get back home. I liked this bit, but I understand why it wasn't in the movie.

And then the marriages, departures, etc.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 PM
SOA

“Before We Were Yours”, by Lisa Wingate
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 AM
CAS

I've always loved reading. these last few years since I discovered audiobooks and double+ speed on audiobook apps, I've been devouring books. but for the last month or so, I've been getting bored with reading.

I have 6 books on my audible app, all around halfway completed. I got bored of one, downloaded another from my library** and started that. Around halfway mark, I did it again, up until where I am now.

Anyway, anyone else get bored with reading like this at all? maybe not audiobooks, but just get bored with reading?

If it matters: TV has become boring to me too, but that happened a couple years ago. I attributed it to my reading--that I loved the imagination used in reading that is obviously lacking in TV. My wife disagrees. She says I've created a type of ADD due to my double speed listening, and she says this is why tv bores me. she says this latest boredom with listening is another step in that ADD development.

**I take advantage of various audible deals to get multiple titles per credit, or buy titles for $4-5 on sale. when you buy a package of credits at once, the price/title works out to be $8. so anything less than $8 I pay with cash as opposed to using a credit on.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I go through ebbs and flows all the time. Sometimes I'll knock out five books in a month, other times it takes me five months to knock out a book. Right now I'm in an ebb - I've been reading Leviathan Wakes for about three months, despite really enjoying it.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

It's usually the type of book I get bored with.

Often, I go on a nonfiction tear, not interested in any fiction.

Or I will only be re-reading favorite fiction (this is primarily Agatha Christie, Terry Pratchett, and Dickens right now)

or something like that -- this goes for regular reading & audiobooks.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-29-2018, 12:20 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: root

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
The bulk of it is "the scouring of the Shire" - i.e., what the hobbits find when they get back home. I liked this bit, but I understand why it wasn't in the movie.

And then the marriages, departures, etc.
It took them forever to go back to the shire (bc of all the marriages, etc., and then having to go see Bilbo). "The scouring of the Shire" was kind of fun, but I was listening to it on a sleepless night, so I'm afraid I missed some important details. I need to go back and listen to those last few chapters again. The last 3 or so hours were appendices, I guess. I didn't listen to those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
If there are any stray hairs around, feel free to split them while I'm gone.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
I go through ebbs and flows all the time. Sometimes I'll knock out five books in a month, other times it takes me five months to knock out a book. Right now I'm in an ebb - I've been reading Leviathan Wakes for about three months, despite really enjoying it.
I agree with this too. don't worry about it too much imo llcooljabe
Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
It's usually the type of book I get bored with.

Often, I go on a nonfiction tear, not interested in any fiction.

Or I will only be re-reading favorite fiction (this is primarily Agatha Christie, Terry Pratchett, and Dickens right now)

or something like that -- this goes for regular reading & audiobooks.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I may be reading more or less at any given point, but I never feel like giving up reading for awhile. I will get bored (sometimes quite suddenly) with a particular genre of book and go off to something else entirely. I've only recently started reading sci-fi/fantasy again after a hiatus of quite a few years. I was on a classics kick quite recently, but have cut that back a fair bit (though not entirely) and added more history/biography. I've cut way back on cozy mysteries, but have added more historical mysteries.

It's up and down.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
I've always loved reading. these last few years since I discovered audiobooks and double+ speed on audiobook apps, I've been devouring books. but for the last month or so, I've been getting bored with reading.

I have 6 books on my audible app, all around halfway completed. I got bored of one, downloaded another from my library** and started that. Around halfway mark, I did it again, up until where I am now.

Anyway, anyone else get bored with reading like this at all? maybe not audiobooks, but just get bored with reading?

If it matters: TV has become boring to me too, but that happened a couple years ago. I attributed it to my reading--that I loved the imagination used in reading that is obviously lacking in TV. My wife disagrees. She says I've created a type of ADD due to my double speed listening, and she says this is why tv bores me. she says this latest boredom with listening is another step in that ADD development.

**I take advantage of various audible deals to get multiple titles per credit, or buy titles for $4-5 on sale. when you buy a package of credits at once, the price/title works out to be $8. so anything less than $8 I pay with cash as opposed to using a credit on.
Being bored with TV is a good thing. I wish I could.

Just finished "The Human Stain." Was hoping for more closure, and more "bibliography" about where, when, how, and from whom the rest of "the author's" "info" came from, apart from his imagination. The chronology is a bit unusual, and "reveals" are thrown in way too early. Maybe that's Roth's style, though.
I read this book, because I had heard of it before, but also a few weeks ago on Bill Maher's show the guest referenced it in a way that made me want to read it.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.