Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
"The ABC Murders" is kind of cool, if no one has spoiled the plot for you in advance.
It is possible that for Christie novels, since they are old and classic, I have seen adaptations of them elsewhere. Hoping this is not the case, though the books are quite small, so not much time wasted.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Non-Actuary

Reading Flint, 1634 the Galileo Affair, based on an earlier recommendation. Part way in I realized it was not the first of the series, but kept on reading. Its a bit slow, and not so interesting.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:57 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Reading Lillian Harry's Farewell to Burracombe, set in an English village in the 1950s. I've followed this series for 10 books and a few novellas but this should pretty much wrap it up. Low key, but I've enjoyed it, in a Miss Read sort of way (though Harry leans more to the drama side, and Miss Read more to the humor side of village life.)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Finished Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules book

It was odd...not sure what I was expecting, but that wasn't quite it. It was very gripping - I set aside my other books for the past couple days.

Seems like it would be a good pick for a discussion group

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I finished another Chief Inspector Gamache book, How The Light Gets In. I liked it a lot even though
Spoiler:
it always seems a big plot hole to me when you have plots requiring a large number of people over a long period of time. They always remind me of the more outrageous James Bond movies, where hundreds of people have to be involved for decades without anyone ever hearing about the plot.

Also, even allowing that the two main bad guys are *really* ambitious, it seems a stretch that they'd be able to plan for both of them to be exactly where they needed to be decades later for their plan to work. To start killing scores of people with the idea that twenty or thirty years later one will become a top politician and another will become the head of police just doesn't really make sense.

Next is either The Good Lord Bird or The ABC Murders.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:27 PM
SOA

Wheel of Time, Book 3. (Am aware that I am sailing towards the Jordanian Morass, but having read Rothfuss and Martin I feel compelled to take on Jordan and Sanderson anyway for completeness)

Next up will be Skin in the Game (Taleb). Enjoyed the Incerto, although have heard some not-so-great reviews (from journalistas) about this latest installment.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Finished Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules book

It was odd...not sure what I was expecting, but that wasn't quite it. It was very gripping - I set aside my other books for the past couple days.

Seems like it would be a good pick for a discussion group
I've been debating on whether or not to read it. I decided to take a Peterson break and then I'll decide later.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Non-Actuary

Just finished Ready Player One. I liked it more than I thought I would. I then read some Robert Louis Stevenson poems and was struck by the huge chasm between the two authors.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:31 PM
CAS

Just finished two short story collections by George Saunders. His first, titled Civilwarland in Bad Decline from the mid-90's, and an acclaimed one from 2010 or so Tenth of December.

Saunders is just... he's incredible. I did a search on the thread for him and the only post I found was myself, when I read a collection of his in 2013. Surprised not to see him come up- he's gotten a lot of press in the last few years. McArthur and Guggenheim Fellowships, National Book Award finalist a few years ago, and just this past year he won the Man Booker Prize for his first novel which was super-hyped- you surely saw this for sale in airport kiosks, Lincoln in the Bardo.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:36 PM
CAS

Anyways I'm probably gonna read Lincoln in the Bardo next. I'm embarrassed to admit that I got a copy signed by him at a festival where he did some readings but I haven't yet read it.

Otherwise gonna work through a stack of books I bought after trips to cool independent bookstores in CO and MO. Can't go there without spending money but now I've made the fatal flaw of buying a bunch of books that lie unread...