Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Who set up your blind date with a book? Just wondering how it works.
It's a subset of a book discussion group I'm part of at LibraryThing. Every month we each propose a "Blind Date" book, and they are then randomly assigned to the participants. It's good to kick me out of my reading comfort zone a bit, though this particular month's book is very much in the comfort zone.

We also each propose an alternate each month, in case you've already read the book, can't find a copy, etc.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I finished The ABC Murders and thought it was good although just the style of the genre made me suspect part of the ending.
I powered through this last night. I correctly guessed on about page 100. And I usually don't guess (correctly). Might be that there was a Columbo or Monk or Psych episode similar to this, but I don't think I had read it before.

So, no more Christie for a while.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

yeah, it's like Hitchcock films for me

B/c everybody used what he had in the films (or Christie had in her books), you can anticipate the twist

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: root

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
They alternated scenes of now and of the memories.
That's how the book was written as well, but I mean, there just wasn't much substance IMO. Or else it was substance that was somewhere between the lines and I don't know enough of the history to have seen it.

There seemed to be something to do with an English Lord (or Lords) meeting with Hitler and trying to negotiate something before the war. But they never said what and it was all innuendo and I guess it was just over my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
If there are any stray hairs around, feel free to split them while I'm gone.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:13 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

That's the trouble with classic mysteries. Books like "Laura", "Murder on the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", "Trent's Last Case", etc. seem clichéd because you've seen variations of the plot so often. But those plot twists were brand new and original at the time. You should probably read all those books when you are about 12. Even that may be too late.

I used to drive my roommate nuts. She didn't read mysteries, but would watch mystery TV shows sometimes. I'd say stuff like. "Oh, that's the "Laura" plot." "What?" "They are stealing the plot from "Laura". Book by Vera Caspary. Film with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. I know what's going to happen." "No, you don't." "Sure, I can tell you if you want." She would, and I would tell her, and it would happen and every time "HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT!"

Last edited by Maine-iac; 04-12-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Old 04-12-2018, 01:35 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
That's the trouble with classic mysteries. Books like "Laura", "Murder on the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", "Trent's Last Case", etc. seem clichéd because you've seen variations of the plot so often. But those plot twists were brand new and original at the time. You should probably read all those books when you are about 12. Even that may be too late.

I used to drive my roommate nuts. She didn't read mysteries, but would watch mystery TV shows sometimes. I'd say stuff like. "Oh, that's the "Laura" plot." "What?" "They are stealing the plot from "Laura". Book by Vera Caspary. Film with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. I know what's going to happen." "No, you don't." "Sure, I can tell you if you want." She would, and I would tell her, and it would happen and every time "HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT!"
Ten Little ...; Witness For The Prosecution

The same is true about humor. Some stuff was amazingly brilliant when knew - Abbott and Costello, but I don't believe people today appreciate it the same way
Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Luckily, I saw/read most of this stuff as a kid.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-12-2018, 02:52 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Luckily, I saw/read most of this stuff as a kid.
agreed. I went through a lot of Christie, Ellery Queen and the Rabbi mysteries as a kid
Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
"
That is definitely too late, for me.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:09 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
agreed. I went through a lot of Christie, Ellery Queen and the Rabbi mysteries as a kid
I was a bit behind, reading Encyclopedia Brown.

"They even split open the cat!!"