Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM
SOA

Default New ASA Requirements for Career ASA dilemma

Not sure if there's already a thread for this, but a thought came to mind recently;

With the new ASA changes, there's the stipulation that if you already have your ASA, you need to either get your FSA or pass exam PA by 2022 to keep your designation. For those that stay at ASA for their careers and have advanced to higher positions, I'm wondering what their plans are. I see a few possibilities arising. Say, for a 50 year old ASA pricing director:

1. Study and learn PA exam, which is likely all stuff they have not had to do or think about for decades, possibly being all new material and more difficult for them than your average analyst (trained in coding from school recently, more flexibility with study hours, etc.)

2. Finish FSA, which if they have no progress towards it, may prove quite difficult. The materials for these exams and modules are probably a lot more in line with the work they've done for years and may be easier for them than PA, but again that's a lot more study hours they may not have.

3. Do neither, potentially lose ASA in 2022. I assume this would also drop their MAAA, and they probably can't really perform their job function without being credentialed to sign off on things anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions, as I'm not a pricing director, nor do I plan to be a career ASA, but just thinking about positions some people I know may find themselves in soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:51 PM

you are incorrect. you do not lose ASA once you get it regardless of any requirement changes. they have changed the requirements numerous times since I started in this field. ASA's under the previous version are protected. That's the reason why people were rushing to finish fap by March 30th. They are exempt from the PA exam for ASA.
Spoiler:
Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM

however, while you are incorrect, if a person who has ASA does not get FSA by 2022, they will need to pass the PA exam to get FSA. Their ASA is still safe though.

would be pretty odd to take ASA away from people merely for a change in the exam structure. The exam structure changes so often it's laughable.
Spoiler:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
you are incorrect. you do not lose ASA once you get it regardless of any requirement changes.

Also, what in the world gave you the idea would?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM

The requirements for fsa are changing too, but in 2022. Like asa, people who get fsa under the old system keep the designation.

Not sure why you thought that asa gets taken away, but not fsa.
Spoiler:
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
if a person who has ASA does not get FSA by 2022, they will need to pass the PA exam to get FSA. Their ASA is still safe though.
Ah, this must be what I was thinking about. I think I was remembering a discussion from when the changes were first announced and we talked about ASA's needing to take the PA exam, and there must have been a disconnect. My mistake, thanks for clarifying!

ETA: Found it-
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA
Q1: If I earn my ASA prior to July 1, 2018 and do not earn my FSA prior to July 1, 2022, will I lose my ASA?

A1: No, you keep your ASA. However, you will be required to complete the Predictive Analytics Exam (and fulfill any additional requirements established in the future) if you wish to attain an FSA.

Last edited by DjPim; 07-13-2018 at 07:46 PM..