Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 07-13-2018, 03:05 PM
CAS SOA

Somehow I passed. I'm 8/8 using TIA so I want to thank their staff for some amazing (to me) prep packages.

I purposely didn't visit this site since the exam because I thought the exam was absolutely awful. I guess you'll always be biased, but I found it WAY harder than the prior exams. I use the read-through to determine which questions are tough and should be left for last. Usually, it's 1-2 questions. This was the first time where I legit didn't even know where I should start. I feel like no matter how well you prepare, they find a way to twist it into crap.

I guess all's well that ends well. Congrats to anyone who passed and good luck to anyone who didn't.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

FSA exams can definitely be a brutal mental test on the exam day, and as others have noted, there is no substitute for practicing time management under real exam conditions as much as possible beforehand. Even so, it can be difficult to stay cool when question after question seems difficult. Just always tell yourself that everyone else is experiencing the same thing, stick to your time management regimen, and try to survive to work another problem without running out of time. Make every question count, and let the chips fall where they may.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM
SOA

College: UConn

Passed, very interested to see the scores because I did not feel good walking out of the exam. Thanks to everyone at PAK for the awesome prep material!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 AM
SOA

Passed. Still felt like an unfair exam though. More emphasis on candidate's knowledge and less on handwriting stamina would be nice.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryinAction View Post
Passed. Still felt like an unfair exam though. More emphasis on candidate's knowledge and less on handwriting stamina would be nice.
Haha, yes, I always try to tell students to practice writing. It's a little thing, but you don't realize how much you DON'T have to hand write much in your daily life...until you're called to write 50 pages in a couple of hours.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2019

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - LRM
College: University of Central Missouri (UCM) Alum
Favorite beer: The Poet (New Holland)

I knew I failed, but my score was lower than I expected. With ILA-LP they gave you a question-by-question score breakdown when you fail. Does anyone know if they do that for ERM? If so is it released later?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 PM
SOA

I thought I could pass but I failed and my score was lower than expected too. They haven't provided the score breakdown yet, which is somewhat weird to me..
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

The score breakdown may take up to 2 weeks to appear with your transcript online. Hopefully within the next week.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
The score breakdown may take up to 2 weeks to appear with your transcript online. Hopefully within the next week.
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize that.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 PM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC_Barcelona View Post
I thought I could pass but I failed and my score was lower than expected too. They haven't provided the score breakdown yet, which is somewhat weird to me..
Like many of us going through these exams, I've failed several FSA exams and one thing I've taken away from each fail has been to really scrutinize the distribution of grades you get back as feedback on the failed attempt. Try to learn from this feedback. Each fail I've personally received, I've hit a couple 9's and 10's and a couple 1's and 2's. For each pass I've received, I really focused on trying to eliminate the 1's and 2's and turn them into 3's and 4's. Passing these exams is definitely not about being perfect and often spending too much time on one question and perfecting it will result in an overall fail. Passing these exams is not just about knowing the material but being a smart exam writer!

Come join the discussion on this free and new forum platform, specifically designed for FSA level exams!

Learning Center: For discussion on syllabus material. Donít understand a concept or idea? Discuss it here!
Exam Center: Test yourself on past SOA exams in an interactive and timed environment!
Collab Center: For discussion on anything and everything related to the exam preparation process!
Case Study: For discussion on each section of the ERM case study. Learn the case study inside and out!