Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Retirement Plan Investment and Risk Management Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:11 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan
Default RPIRM as first FSA exam

Having finished my ASA, I am considering sitting for RPIRM as my first FSA exam out of interest in the subject matter. Is this a bad idea, given that this exam is recommended to take last? I have done none of the retirement benefits modules or exams.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for SI module

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
Having finished my ASA, I am considering sitting for RPIRM as my first FSA exam out of interest in the subject matter. Is this a bad idea, given that this exam is recommended to take last? I have done none of the retirement benefits modules or exams.

Thanks.
I took and passed it as my first written FSA exam. I got my EA in 2015 and just got my ASA in January, so I opted to tackle the shorter written exam this past April and give myself plenty of time to prepare for D&A next April.

As a written exam, I feel it definitely requires a different approach tham the multiple-choice exams since it's more conceptual and less calculation-based. Since it's so short, you can't necessarily rely on past exams to give you a solid idea of what's commonly tested and what topics you can skip. It also involves both mentally and physically preparing since you'll be writing a lot.

I don't know how much overlap there is between RPIRM and D&A, but I would say there's very little overlap between RPIRM and the EA exams.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post

Thanks.
This exam was my first FSA written exam. I had previously gotten my ASA and passed both EA exams. I decided to take to this ahead of D&A because it was less material and shorter, so I thought a better intro into the world of written exams.

I had no issues really, and got an 8 on the exam. I will say the one thing I was surprised with was the time crunch during the exam regarding the amount of writing. I did not think time would be as big a factor as it was. So you shouldn't have any issues starting with this exam, but be prepared for writing fast and practice beforehand because my hand got cramps during the exam.