Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Finance and Valuation Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Finance and Valuation Exam Old Individual Life and Annuities Forum

Old 07-13-2018, 11:49 AM
SOA AAA

Default Fall 2018 LFV Progress Thread

just failed the spring sitting. on board again for the fall sitting using TIA again

good luck all!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM
SOA

You beat me to it. Going to try to crank out DMAC before I get going on this - just need to start writing.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:39 PM
SOA

Also failed the Spring 2018 sitting. Got a 5
Old 07-17-2018, 05:52 PM
SOA

Joining the party here.
Did anyone buy textbooks? I'm debating if I should buy them...didn't buy any for Pricing, but since I work in Valuations they might be useful...?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoyagiAi View Post
Joining the party here.
Did anyone buy textbooks? I'm debating if I should buy them...didn't buy any for Pricing, but since I work in Valuations they might be useful...?
Being in the valuation group for many many years and there have been times that I have to open up the US GAAP textbook to confirm a few things. And i am not the only ones that do it. Several actuaries that are high up would have the US GAAP textbook laying around on the desk. So, i would recommend you to purchase that one.

As for the reinsurance and STAT valuation textbooks, we do a very good job covering them in the study manual and sometimes go beyond what the textbooks state. Also, we have found some mistakes in the textbooks and corrected them in our study manual. For those, i can say you can rely on our study manual (if this is what you purchased), but still recommend you to read it once if you can borrow from others.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for LFV-US / LFV-CA / LP / LRM Spring 2019

LP: Sample
LFV U.S.: Sample
LFV Canada: Sample
LRM: Sample

Should you have any questions, please send us an email.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 AM
SOA

Hi, I'm writing this one for the first time, having cleared LP in Fall 2017. This is my last exam and I really want to be done with exams now. Having said that, I have a little over three months to prepare from scratch, and working in the subcontinent, my prior experience with US GAAP and valuation principles which will be tested are practically zero. Is the amount of time left sufficient to have a reasonable chance of passing?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelski View Post
Hi, I'm writing this one for the first time, having cleared LP in Fall 2017. This is my last exam and I really want to be done with exams now. Having said that, I have a little over three months to prepare from scratch, and working in the subcontinent, my prior experience with US GAAP and valuation principles which will be tested are practically zero. Is the amount of time left sufficient to have a reasonable chance of passing?
Yes, many people (of all backgrounds) pass LFV when starting in the 2nd half of July or January. In fact, the typical person taking LFV doesn't start until after getting results of a previous exam like LP. Here are more thoughts on how to get the most out of a late July start:

http://theinfiniteactuary.com/blogs/exam_ila_csp/?p=788

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelski View Post
It's very typical that students start studying around this time, although we have been recommending students to start early.

Given that you have some background with US GAAP, you might have an edge. Please email me if you want to get some more detail on the exam and i can walk you through what your focuses should be.

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 07-18-2018, 02:51 PM
SOA AAA

Also taking this exam- for the second time. Failed with a 5. Hoping I retained some of the material from April so that studying comes a little easier for me. Planning to start studying in the next few days.

Exam LP | Exam LRM | Exam LFV-U
Regulation & Taxation | Financial Economics | ERM Module

Actuarial Associate at a life insurance company
Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 PM
SOA

Exam season is official upon us now!

One thing I like to recommend that EVERYONE do early on in the process is go check out the SOA's Guide to Written Exams. There is a nice overview there, as well as some decent videos that will give you some pointers on how to think about the exam.

Good luck as everyone gets going! Stay focused, work hard, and study smart. You can do this!

www.pakstudymanual.com