Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
It seems unlikely you have anything better than a tie. I think itís probably still a call though. Have to think about it some more.
Gotten this exact reaction from the 4 guys I run hands through.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

If am the first in the pot from any position, am coming in with a raise. If someone limps before, then once in a while will limp behind with a pocket pair.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
What were you thinking about in the tank?
Bets 50% of pot on the flop.
THEN bets 27% of the turn?
THEN bets 80% on the river?

Not sure what this betting pattern represents. There are betting pattern experts out there to help. One thing to wonder is, "what would I have such that I'd bet like that?" You are not Villain, so what you'd do might not apply to him. Especially a $20 pre-flop bet, though on the button. Has he been raising the button and have you seen what he had when doing so? Sure, it fluffs the pot a bit, drops some drawing hands and ATC limpers.
I didn't have a ton of history with him, just what I mentioned in OP.

My thoughts in the moment were that I didn't think it was obvious that he'd open hands like 66/65/75 after a few limpers, so I thought his value range was capped at 77/99. This was the overriding factor in the close decision. Wish I'd had more time with him so I could have made a better read on this part of the hand.

Unfortunately, there aren't many sensical bluffs either. Thought there was a small chance he was steam-barreling a hand like T9, maybe turned a flush draw with it. Perhaps turning a hand like TT/JJ into a bluff. Maybe A5 looking to project a bluff and get a call from an overpair (which I'll have in this spot a fair amount). Nothing that jumps out as a no-brainer for a bet that big, but at least seemed plausible.

Thinking back, I feel like big bets on the river are always "he's got it" in live poker. And his sizings make perfect sense for a turned boat. I don't love the call in light of all this, but for the most part my other guys think it's OK.

Was a great trip. Sooooo many poker players out there right now. The Big 50 sucked up every available table @ the Rio, so they had the cash games in the King's Lounge. Besides the douchery of the staff going out of their way to let us know that "you wouldn't normally be in here", it was super enjoyable. Huge oversized table, plush chairs, and a free salmon/steak buffet for the players.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 PM
SOA AAA

For this hand, two more questions are, could I ever win (yes, a large pre-flop bet, but that's risky with 88), and could I ever get away (maybe on the river, but only after making a fantastic read)?

I think it is near impossible. Just one of those hands where he got lucky and took advantage.
I hope you got some of that back later.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art